•Chapter 18

(5 months later)

"Can I just say... best day ever?" Sage said, hands in the air as we drove with the top and widows down.

"You can say that again." Devin sighed happily.

"This is the best day ever!" She yelled, making both me and Devin laugh.

"That it is, Love. That it is." I smiled fondly over at her.

She turned to look at me, and said, "Well, someone sure is happy."

I glanced over at her with a knowing smile, "Extremely."

She blushed a little, making my smile even bigger, "I see." She muttered, a small smile on her lips.

I can feel Devin's amused gaze on the back of my head instantly, and couldn't help the chuckle as we pulled into a diner.

All of us filed out of the jeep and into the diner with about three people all sitting in one booth, three waitresses eyeing us as we entered, and a cook on his phone behind this square window.

We took our seats, me and Sage on one side, Devin on the other across Sage, who sat closest to the window.

She was observing everything about the diner, when I put my arm around her shoulders, making her look up at me. "Hey." I whispered, glancing down at her lips, then back to her eyes.

She smiled, "Hey, back atcha." she giggled.

I smiled and bent down a little, pecking her lips.

There was the sound of someone clearing their throat in front of us, so I glanced at Devin with a raised eyebrow. "Yes?"

"Oh nothing, just letting you guys know you're not alone here." he said.

I put in a face of confusion, "But I thought we were, that's why I thought we could..." I trail off, connecting my lips to Sage's lips once more, earning a grin from her and a slight giggle through the kiss.

Devin sighed, but you could hear the smile. Somehow, you just knew he was smiling about me and Sage's relationship. And I know I was too.

I pulled away, smiling down at her, pecking her lips one more time before grinning at Devin.

"Just kidding, I just wanted to kiss her." I told him, my goofy grin never leaving my face and I move my arm from her shoulders and take her hand in mine.

I looked down at her to see her face bright red all over, with a grin of her own. This made my smile even brighter, as hers always proved to cause.

"WHAT JUST HAPPENED?!" Devin suddenly asked. He had his hands up and a look of complete shock and confusion.

Sage is laughing so hard, she's doubled over, head resting on the table, fits pounding on it, as her melodic laughter filled te entire diner.

I give the both questioning looks as Sage begins to pull it together. But just as I'm about to as what just happened, she looks at both Devin and I before her fits of laughter start up again.

I look at Devin to see him shaking his head, laughing as well, and just find the whole situation hilarious.

Soon, our whole table is filling the diner with joyous laughter and we continue laughing about Devin's random question all throughout dinner.

***

Devin is walking ahead of me and Sage, and I decide now is the best time as ever.

"Hey Devin, we'll catch up with you in a sec." I called to him, making him halt and give me a knowing grin before nodding and walking towards the jeep.

Sage was giving me a confused and accusing look before following me to the bench in front of the diner we'd just eaten at. I had her sit and smiled at her.

This is it...

Watching her expression closely, I slowly bent to one knee and took one of her hands in mine.

She gasped so loudly, and covered her mouth with her hand, as tears began to fill her eyes, as well as shock, joy, excitement, and most of all Love.

"Sage Straner, I have been in love with you since I first caught sight of you that first night on the roof, even if I didn't realize it that moment. I know I've screwed up more times than not, yet you still love me and want to be with me. I know we're in a sticky situation right now, and I know I don't have much to offer you to keep you happy, but I hope all I have is enough. I hope my love for you is enough to allow me to keep my promise to you of loving you forever and being by your side forever. I hope you will accept my proposal without a rock on your finger, and I hope you accept me to become your fiancé and one day soon your husband. I hope you say yes when I ask you,... Will you marry me?" I asked, as tears flowed from her beautiful eyes, and then I saw it.

She was nodding and saying yes.

She wanted to marry me as much as I wanted to marry her.

I stood at the same time she did, and we wrapped our arms around each other, hugging each other close as we heard cheers and whistles from people around is.

But I wasn't paying attention to them when I pulled Sage in for a deep, passionate, love-filled kiss that she returned with just as much emotion as I put into it.

And I was marrying the woman I was madly in love with.

"I promise to make you happy, Sage." I told her.

"Mission accomplished." she smiled, kissing me again.

*******

We got married, had three babies who grew as beautifully as their mother. We watched them grow and fall in love as well. Then we grew old together, and lived happily ever after. Something you don't see much in an undercover agent's nor a criminal's life- let alone together.

But we made it happen. Together.