33

I hear heels walking, and Addison's bubbly laughter coming up from behind me. I hear Mark's voice too, laughing along.
"Lexie! I hear a congratulations are in order!" Addison says.
"Thanks! I'm really excited about this. If we need another opinion, can I give you a call?" I ask.
"Of course. If you have your phone, I can put my phone number in it." Addison says.
"Awesome, thanks so much, Dr Montgomery." I say.
"Call me Addison. Everyone does." she says as types in her phone number into my phone.
"Text or call whenever. If you're in the LA area, and want to get a cup of coffee, or something, or for medical opinions." Addison says.

I follow her through the halls to where Mark was treating a burn patient with me and Alex. We're trying a new procedure, hence the reason why Addison was here. Kevin is her boyfriend, and he's doing all of the technical stuff for the patient, and apparently this cuts down in time spent in the hospital, better results with less scaring, and less overall recovery time.

"Addison, I hope you know what Kevin is doing here. I don't want him to mess up and cause more pain to the patient." Mark says quietly.
"Kevin knows what he's doing.  He's done this before despite the fact that this is a new way of treating burn patients."  Addison says.  

The treatment passes quickly, and Mrs Lannley is doing great.  Actually, she's doing much better than expected, despite having a different treatment done yesterday.  

"Hey Mark, what do you think about taking a trip down to LA?"  I ask.
"Well, that sounds good.  What would we do?" Mark asks.
"Walk on the beach, enjoy the sun, maybe take a tour of Universal Studios Hollywood, the LA Zoo is supposed to be amazing."  I say, reading off of a list from Google that I had seen the other day.  The photographic memory kind of helps with that.  
"Well, that does sound nice and relaxing.  I'll go book the hotel, and make sure it's up to our standards, and that there will be plenty of time for you to rest."  Mark says.  
"Great!  I'll go plan the tour of Universal, and get tickets for the Zoo."  I say, and give Mark a quick kiss before going to an office to use a computer.  

I find an empty computer and sit down.  I pull up Google and search for Dr Addison Montgomery.  I find the address of her practice in LA, Oceanside Wellness.  I look at the other doctors there, and their bright and shiny pictures.  I hear a knock on the door and see my sister's face appear.  

"Hey Lex.  What are you up to?"  Meredith says, opening the door and popping her head in.  
"Hey Mer.  I'm looking at Addison's practice down in LA, and getting tickets for a tour of Universal and tickets for the zoo."  I say, clocking to the Universal Studios Hollywood page.  I put in all of my credit card information, and print the tickets.  
"Are you going to go see Addison while you're in LA?"  Meredith asks.  We've been getting along much better recently, which is nice.  I think after that initial freak out of me surprising her is over.
"I think so.  I looked at the technology that they have in pictures on the website, and it's more advanced than what we have here, which makes sense because thats what she specializes in and this is hospital specializes in everything."  I say.  
"That's good.  Make sure to send a picture of the sonogram!"  Meredith says.  
"Will do, sis."  I say.  "Do you want a copy?  I'm sure we can get a bunch of copies."  
"That would be great, Lex.  Wanna grab lunch?"  

We go get some food and continue talking about patients, LA, and eating food.  
I then get a 911 page to the joint patient of me, Alex and Mark.  
"I gotta go Mer.  See ya later!"  I say and grab my tray and run up to the second floor.  

"What's wrong?"  I say, running to the the room.
"I was overlooking this procedure, and Kevin here started going on skin that wasn't burned and she started crashing."  Alex says, slightly out of breath.  
"Kevin, out.  I don't care if you're not finished.  I really don't care.  You almost killed this woman, and you should not be doing this without Mark here."  I snap at him.  Kevin, not Alex. 
"Dr Karev, may I speak with you in the hall please?"  I say after we make sure Ms Lannley is stable and Kevin is out of the room.  

"What's up Dr Grey?"  Alex says.  
"Dr Karev, Alex, I talked to Mark and we talked to Dr Webber about you working with us on this patient because it would help with your people skills.  After just today even, your bedside manner is much better, but I would still like your company on the plastics rotation this week.  What do you say?"  
"Thanks, I would love to continue with plastics.  Do you think pediatrics would help too?"  Alex asks.  
"Probably.  I hadn't thought of that.  Would you like to specialize in peds?"  I ask.  
"I think maybe.  I mean, if my bedside manner continues to be good."  Alex says with his usual smirk/smile.  
"I can talk with Mark and Arizona and see what we can work out.  Would you like to be present during this conversation?"  I ask.
"I would love to.  Thank you Dr Grey."  Alex says.  
"Alex, please, call me Lexie.  You lived with my sister, and now I live with you.  Seriously."  I say.  
"Okay, Lexie."  Alex says.  

We part and continue with the rest of our day.