Part 10

Artwork creeds to essie_1413

"For you." I heard.
I turn slightly to see Lexie holding a coffee out to me. 
"Thanks, Lexie." I say, taking the coffee.
Nobody's bought me coffee before, not even Addison.
"So I'm going to go talk to Meredith.  Did you send me off so you and Derek could talk about me?" She asked. 
I look down at my coffee.
"Yes, but nothing bad. He just warned me that if we didn't tell Meredith soon, she'd get mad and we don't want that." I explain quickly.  I see, just over Lexie's shoulder, Meredith's blonde head walk into the cafeteria.
"Crap. Duck."  I say, leading Lexie out of the way of Meredith. She had her angry face on.  I make sure Lexie is okay before I follow Meredith.
"Dr Grey, could you take a look at these scans?  I want a second opinion." I call from behind her.
She whirls around and glares at me. 
"HOW LONG H AVE YOU BEEN DOING MY BABY SISTER?"  She shouts at me. 
"Meredith, let's talk in a separate room, okay?"  I try.
That doesn't work and she launches herself at me from the other side of the hallway. She starts swinging her fists at me, but Derek was right- her fists are pretty ineffectual. I lock her arms to her body and carry her to an on call room.
"Meredith Grey. Listen to me. Lexie was late this morning.  I showed her where to go, then Dr Webber put her on my service today.  I didn't plan for this to happen, it just did." 
"Then how do you explain my baby sister falling in love with you in a single day!" She shouts again. 
"I- love at first sight?"  I say slowly. 
"Yeah, sure. Because that totally happens." Meredith says.
"You met Derek at a bar, and he ended up being your boss and you still kept this up.  How do you explain that?"  I counter.

"You don't.  We actually spent time getting to know each other before we went back to my house.  You just met Alexandra today, as did I."  Meredith shoots back.  

"True, but the probability of love at first sight increases by a lot if you see that person three separate times, within a 24 hour period."  I say, referencing a book.

"Is that true?  Then all of the doctors in this hospital would be in love- the first intern shift is 48 hours!"  "True.  But-" 

"No buts, Mark!  I'm going to go find Alexandra before you two take over and on call room again."  She says and turns around to go find Lexie.  

"Meredith, she's in the cafeteria."  I say.  She turns the other way and walks past me.