Chapter 4: Sail Away

"I never dreamt in a million years to be inside a cave; not even in my wildest dreams," I said, as I gazed all around the statuesque pillars that rose alongside the stream of water that flowed through the middle. "This is what it must feel like to be a kid," I uttered softly.

"I thought you would be scared of the dark," Romeos chuckled.

"Well we might still need some light at least, but after everything we have been through in this short while, I am not so scared anymore of the unknown."

I remembered that conversation so fondly I had with my friend. Even though I only knew him for a short while I felt like I knew him my whole life. But with the memories came a surge of pain buried deep inside my heavy heart. It was tucked away in the deepest of caves that hid the guilt...anger...and sadness that threatened to seep out like drops of water through the dense cold walls.

It was time now.

No more regrets. After settling in Crete for only a little while, I was sailing away to Rome. I remembered first leaving home in Aegea. It was the only world I knew. It was the only world I was expected to know. A month ago it was a painful decision; one that took everything out of me. Now it seemed so painless to uproot and start all over again. Each time it would be easier...as long as I refused to become attached to anyone. Perhaps Cornelia was right all along. Maybe there was a purpose bigger than her, even bigger than me that I was too blind to see...until now.

"Welcome back on board Theseus," a voice exclaimed from behind. With the sack still slung over my shoulder, I craned my neck to follow the direction of the voice. Emerging from the throng was a young man with pristine features.

"I would not miss this trip for nothing!" Theseus said, flashing a toothy grin to face the lad.

"That little boy of yours is certainly growing up," the young lad replied matter-of-fact.

"You can say that again. Before you know it he will be old enough to ride the tides with the rest of the crew. I just wish at times he could come along," Theseus said with a sigh.

"It is good the poor boy stayed with his mum and sister. It is safer on land than it is on sea," the lad said pointing to the rolling waves as they playfully splashed against the wooden vessel that glided seamlessly into the blue. While the two talked, I wandered about, observing the dozen or more men moving to and fro around the ship. Most of the men looked to be in their 20s if not 30s. They were still in the prime of life but for some it would be fleeting soon.

"What are you standing around like an idiot for?" a man muttered in a coarse tone. I watched the man shake his tussled brown hair in dismay as he shuffled his big feet across the deck. The only idiot I see is you! His rough words uttered in Greek, ruffled my confidence. Just bite your tongue. I do not want to be thrown off the boat. Maybe I should crawl underneath the deck so I could get out of everyone's way...

"Troy, there you are. I did not see you earlier," Theseus called out. I slowly walked towards Theseus and the young man he was talking to.

"I was going to say the same thing," I said softly. "I almost thought you were going to miss the boat."

"Not this time," he said shaking his head. "I'm glad you are here. I want to introduce you to some of the crew you will be spending the next month or two with. I was not certain whether you already acquainted yourself with any of the crew." Oh I was already acquainted with one crewmember and I already knew I would not like him.

"Troy, this is Jason, the traveling merchant that will be accompanying us. Jason this is Troy, the young man I was telling you about."

"Greetings Troy," he said, his brown eyes leveling with mines. He reached out to initiate a handshake. "What brings you on board?" he responded, his eyes fixed on my shifty gaze.