Chapter 9 [ Edited]

Start from the beginning

"Well, I doubt that," Kate mumbled.

"Why do you say that?" She asked.

" I don't think me being there will make any difference now."

"Why would you think that?" Julie joined in the conversation, as she entered the living room.

She had overheard their conversation and saw an opportunity to hear Kate's thoughts.

Kate's silence was concerning in all honesty.

" We aren't talking talking at the moment. So it's best I let him be." Kate expressed her thoughts.

" There might be silence but within that silence, there's longing. I think he misses you."

' I miss him too but I'm scared to feel rejected.' Kate thought.

" But you won't know until you hear from him. And another way to do that is maybe....see him?" Anna tried to give her friend a hint, that Nick always loves being with her, no matter what, she's the most important to him.

" Or call him." Julie adds on, sparing a glance Anna's way.

Kate shook her head, " I wont ruin his night. He deserves to have fun without -----"

" Kate maybe you shouldn't assume that he -----"

" I didn't feel up to going anyway so it doesn't matter anymore." Kate got flustered now with all the attention on her, not to mention the discussion over the same topic.

" Kate -----"

" Look, I don't feel like going, okay!" Kate shot to her feet and rushed upstairs, wanting to be left alone.

" Kate?!" Julie called after her, but her call was met with a slam of the door.

Anna and Julie exchanged concerned looks, taken aback by Kate's reaction.

Something was wrong and it was clear that it had nothing to do with what they were talking about.

                         ******

"You look rather down for a Mad X fan," Stacey mentioned as she stepped next to Nick, who was seated on the hood of his car.

She had noticed him stare far off into the distance, looking quite lost in thought.

Stacey felt silly after what she'd said because she was met with silence, where Nick only took a sip from his drink and continued staring at the beautiful lake. Her desire was for him to speak to her  and say what was on his mind, even though there was no doubt alot concerned Kate.

"You look nice," he said, after sparing her a glance.

Even though he didn't say much, but what he said was enough to make her blush. She quickly looked away from him, trying to hide her face.

She couldn't deny that he still had that effect on her heart.

After composing herself, she faced him again. She prepared to say something else but words got stuck in her throat when she noticed Anna's car pull over, just two cars away. It was obvious that she wasn't alone when the passenger door opened.

It was Kate and Stacey had to admit, that she looked really pretty tonight. Stacey truly believed that Kate wouldn't be here tonight. This was what she expected because Kate normally didn't go to many parties.

Even she knew this.

It didn't take long before Nick noticed Kate, he paused mid drink then. He was surprised that she changed her mind and came. To Nick, she sounded clear about not coming and he settled with that.