Chapter 17: Capture The Flags

Start from the beginning

She raised an eyebrow. “Don’t try to fake your emotions in front of me at least; you can only fool Courtney with these.”

Ugh. I was tired being the person everyone could predict. Was I really that predictable? I hope not.

“Fine, I’m pretty embarrassed myself. I shouldn’t have said that, I know but there’s nothing I can do to make it up. She might as well just punch me in the face, if that’s what it takes for her to talk to me, because she knows me very well to understand the fact that I don’t know how to apologize to people, or make up to them when they’re mad.” I confessed.

Amanda was quiet for some time and then she concluded, “Why don’t you go and say this to her?”

“Are you insane? She will punch me in face!”

“Didn’t you just say that you’re okay with that..?!”

“Yeah, but-”

“You’re apologizing to her tomorrow first thing in the morning, that’s it. Good night.” She ordered as she pulled over the sheets and closed her eyes.

I deadpanned.

                               *   *   *
James stood beside me encouraging me to go talk to Melanie for the past fifteen minutes and I could tell he was annoyed by now; I wasn’t even close to ready.

Did I mention how hard it is to say sorry to her? A person would regret picking up a fight with her because she would blow up like a bonfire, trust me.

Amanda and Courtney were passing me thumbs up and James was urging me to just take the shot.

Before I could say a word Mr. Lee arrived as he gathered all the students and started to explain today’s task.

Well, I knew about that task already as it was put up in order in the pamphlet which contained information about the camping trip. I’d always stood first in this task. It was called ‘Capture the Flags’.

We had to collect as many flags (they were actually the size of a palm but with glowing sticks so people could spot them from afar) as possible that were lead by different paths, but there were many paths misleading and strategies were required to understand which one was right and which one wasn’t. We were provided with paint guns, and I swear the pain of those guns literally topped all the pains I’ve experienced in my entire life.

We had to hide from them basically, but collect the flags too. It was a very tricky game and all everyone could collect were three or four flags but my team collected five the last time and eight before that so I actually wanted a good team or I could lose.

“Come and pick a card which has a specific color on it and the people who will get the same colored cards will be a team as it happens every year.” Ms. Consuela announced.

Everyone gathered around the box to pick a card and I got yellow. I looked around if anyone had yellow in their hands but I couldn’t see anyone in sight.

“Oh, so yellow it is.” I heard a voice from behind and I clearly jumped at it.

I turned around to see a tall guy with light golden hair and steel grey eyes beaming at me.

“Oh hey, Paul.” I said as soon as I saw the yellow card in his hands.

Paul was the captain of our football team and Amanda’s boyfriend. He was unexpectedly the sweetest guy of our school but still had the tad bit attitude when it came to dating. He and Amanda were committed to each other since the start of high school and they sure did make the cutest couple in our school.