Chapter 15: I Let Him.

Reviewed by amazon_queen97
Chapter dedication: FizzinProngs

"Yeah I'll bring more ice." I concurred to mom as I gripped Melanie's hand and forced her in the kitchen with me. She made a disgusted face because I had interrupted her chat with my neighbor Dr.Sanderson's son Jeremy Sanderson.

"He was about to ask me out!" she said in defense.

Conan left the kitchen as he heard Melanie gushing about Jeremy. Okay, he looked jealous sort of. But doesn't he have Debbie..?!

Maybe I'm just over thinking again. I turned my attention towards Melanie.

"Stop it Mel, he wasn't buying your story. You've had a terrible childhood?" I laughed. "Do you know how spoiled you are?" I laughed harder. She rolled her eyes.

"Laugh all you want. I know he was completely digging into it." She exclaimed.

"Yeah, right." I baffled sarcastically, as I gestured her to help me get all the ice out of the ice bucket. She crossed her arms looking away.

"I'm sorry Melanie. He was totally into you. And who am I to know about guys? Now give me a hand please." I apologized flatly and she bought it just like that.

"Speaking about guys-" Melanie's words trailed off suddenly. I looked up to see what caught her sight and...holy crap.

"Oh my God. When did you invite him? And why didn't you tell me?" Melanie asserted, now looking at me.

"I..I" suddenly his eyes met mine and I looked away. Melanie observed me with an impressive grin.

"Aww, you're blushing." She said adoring me. I rolled my eyes suddenly hearing what she said.

"Really?" I said cupping my face with my hands. It was really hot, and my hands were cold at the same time. That was what indicated that I really was hella nervous.

He made all the way from the lounge and hall to the kitchen passing smiles to everyone, though he didn't know much of them.

He was wearing a blue and white sweater sweater that complimented his eyes in every possible way, or maybe I was dreaming.

"Hey." He grinned suddenly making me realize that I stared him a bit too long, long enough that he noticed. Shit.

"Uh, hi." I replied, looking away.
I picked up the ice box and handed it to Melanie to take it outside. But she just stayed there.

"I actually didn't know what to bring, so.." he handed me a box of donuts. "Here." He alleged politely, smiling.

"You didn't had to, but thanks anyway." I smiled, taking the box from James.

Melanie gripped my arm and pushed me back.

"He looks so cute in that sweater!" she whispered in my ear. I gawked at her.

"Shut up! He might hear you!"I whispered back, a bit too loud looking at him.

He was standing right there. He could've heard it as Melanie's vocal chords don't know how to whisper and of course well, what are the chances?
* * * *
Conan seemed to interact with James pretty quickly. It turned out that Conan was in the same soccer team last year as James is in, now.

"You better watch out on Coach Craig." Conan laughed, maybe unfolding some inside joke that only James understood by the virtue of fits of laughter he received over it.

"He looks so cute while laughing." Melanie whispered in my ear.
I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, so why don't you date him?"

"If he wasn't into you, I would. Trust me." She said, winking at me.

Yeah, she was right because she was every guy's number one girl.

"Please, he is not into me." I clarified.

"Oh my God. Elene, you're seriously blind. Why else would he come to this party?"

"Because dad invited him!"

"But you had told him that its still not necessary to come."

Oh. Light bulb.

"But that still doesn't explain that he's into me." I raised an eyebrow.

"You're impossible."

The stars were showing off themselves like they've given the chance to show it the first time in ages. I was lost in their gaze just like I was at last year's new year party. I was standing right here on the balcony and wearing the same green sweater as last year.

Except, this time it wasn't the same at all. Adrian's arms aren't wrapped around me like they used to almost all the time. And he wasn't here to say, "You look so beautiful when you look up at the stars and they shine at you. Your eyes glow with them." Like he said last year.

Right here, at the same spot he grabbed my waist and pulled me towards him. He adjusted his face right and pushed the strand of hair behind my ear. And kissed me. At the count of one.

"So how many are there?" I heard a similar voice. I trembled and jumped as my grip to the grill of the balcony failed and fell back. His arms caught me just in time pulling me into him.

"I...I" I couldn't say anything.

"I thought you were counting the stars, considering you were so occupied by their gaze." He grinned.

"Uhm-" I stood up to balance myself and he carefully let me.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. You looked so peaceful." James concurred softly.

I preferred to stay quiet since I had no idea what to say him because no matter what I said, he'd find some fun in it and laugh.

But it was starting to get awkward as he observed the silence of my face.

"What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be inside, the party's pretty up." I decided to break the silence like I used to, most of time.

"Well, I could ask you the same question. It's pretty gawky that you find this isolated balcony amusing than the party." He replied.

"I don't like watching people kiss at midnight this time of the year." I declared.

I knew he would ask further but I was ready for the bombarding questions. Bring it on, James Rowell.

"Oh." And just like that, he dropped the subject.

Was it just me, or sometimes he was a bit too nice? It was like he was torturing me or something. Why were you being so nice James? You could just ask me so I could find you annoying and push you from my life. But this way you were doing nothing but drawing me closer, to you.

"You can go inside, you know. The countdown is about to start. Go kiss someone. I don't want you to be here for my sake." I exclaimed.

He laughed. "Why are you so sure that I have someone to kiss when the ball drops?"

"Uhm, well even if you don't, there are plenty of girls who are dying to kiss you."

"Oh really?" he smirked.

"I mean inside the house." I made my point clear, but he noticed me turning scarlet.

"There's only one person I want to kiss at midnight and I know that it's not going to happen any time soon so it's better I stay out here rather than watching other people in there, kissing the ones they want." He declared.

It was such a blunt reaction of his. My heart ached. Why did a tiny part in my brain want to hear that I was that person he was referring to? But I didn't want to ask because if Melanie was right, that person could be me and what would I say if he says that it really is me?

Suddenly a rush of voices shouted "HAPPY NEW YEAR!" from inside the house.

I sighed.

"Happy New Year, Elene." James smiled, looking down at me.

"Happy New Year, James." I pushed a smile, huffing.

He held my hand and squeezed it as I resumed gazing the stars.

And this time, I let him.

That's it, I hope you like it! Don't forget to vote, comment and recommend! :')