Chapter 4

Your P.O.V

"Where were you yesterday?" Master Zane asked as I walked in, still recovering from yesterday.

"I'm sorry your majesty. I passed out from hunger in the hallway and I didn't wake up until sundown, by then you were asleep." I said with a bow as I apologizing at the same time.

He raised an eyebrow, clearly knowing that that line was obviously practiced.

I'm guessing he decided not to care (what's new), and he turned back to his papers as I set the tray on his desk.

The nerve of these people! Acting like they don't get anything they want when everything is served to them on a silver platter. Literally!

I stared at the silver platter in envy as I stood in the hallway with the other two maids.

One had brown hair and blue eyes, as well as a short height.

The other one had strawberry blonde hair that seemed brighter at the ends, and bright, optimistic hazel eyes.

"Hi." I said to her as I walked out. She gave me a quick, hesitant smile before turning back around.

So she knows about me and Halley.

The other didn't speak a word and stared blankly at the wall.

A guard came by and gave us our list of chores for the day, and I took it in my hands before reading it.

- Laundry
- Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
- Deliver these books from the library:
        - The History of Lady Irene
        - Shad the Destroyer; The Untold Story
        - The Nether and Its Origins
- Leave alone until requested

I carefully examined each chore as the other maids did the same before we stared at each other.

With a quick, silent exchange, we parted ways.

-+~•~+-

My hands ached as I carried the pile of wet clothes away from the washboard.

After they were properly hung, I turned around.

There in front of me, was the horizon. It was a crisp blue sky kind of day, and the sun shone down on me, shining on everything that had the luck to see it. I've always dreamed of traveling the world, but that never happened. For obvious reasons.

I heard a light chirp and turned around. A small sparrow was happily sitting on the rope that held up the clothing.

I stared at it before giving it a smile.

It didn't respond, just tilted its head. We stared at each other for a moment before it flapped its wings and sprang for me.

I flung backwards to get away and hit the ground on my butt, but it didn't touch me.

I slowly opened my eyes, and stared at it.

Its wings were still flapping, but it looked like it was trying to stay away from my face. I furrowed my brows and hesitantly raised my hand.

I lifted my arm towards the small creature, and it stared at my hand in fear before flying away a bit.

"It's okay! I'm not gonna hurt you!" I softly said with kind eyes.