Chapter 17

Essay written and show performed, Cami and I head back to my apartment. Our home, I think, my heart softening.

I'm on a kick to give her a "classic cinema education," though Cam's unfortunate habit of falling asleep during movies means that she's seen the beginnings of some really great ones. Tonight's movie is Easy A, which may not be a classic, but Emma Stone is worth the watch.

I pop a bag of popcorn and boil water for tea, and Cami and I find ourselves in our usual positions on the couch. She lies with her feet on my lap, propped up with a pillow so she can reach her tea. This is how we always start, but I know that at some point in the next two hours, she'll move over into my lap, nestled against me. I'm amazed by how comfortable she seems with physical contact, given all she's been through, but I'm not complaining about her snuggles.

It's about 12:30 when the doorbell rings, and Cami glances at me, puzzled.

"Did you order food?" I shake my head slowly, we'd eaten sushi before the show, and move towards the door as I gesture for Cami to stay put. The doorbell rings again and I jump this time, startled. I look through the peephole and my blood runs cold. I turn to where Cam sits, tense on the couch.

"Cami. I need you to listen to me. Go in my room and STAY in there. Do you understand?" I know my tone is harsh but I can barely hear what I'm saying over the blood rushing through my ears. Cami disappears down the hall and I let the door swing open slowly, standing in the doorway.

"Steven."

"Phillipa!" He's been drinking, and I can smell the whiskey on him as he pushes past me to collapse on the couch.

"Get out of my apartment." I'm desperately trying to seem firm, but Steven is here, in my apartment, and he's wearing the flannel I got him for his birthday. He holds a hand out, cutting me off.

"I jus wanna talk." He's slurring his words, and that's how I know he's really drunk because he'd always brag that his speech was the last thing to go.

"Steven, you need to leave. You can't be here." I'm praying the door's thick enough that Cami can't hear the panic in my voice.

"Where is she?" If I wasn't freaked out enough before, this does it.

"Who are you talking about?" I don't know why I'm trying to play dumb.

"That little slut you adopted. Nina works at the hospital. She told me everything."

Nina. That's her name. Somehow knowing she's a real person and not just a faceless entity makes everything worse.

"I don't know why you're asking me about her. Get out."

"You couldn't have me anymore, so you went out and got a teenager? Bet she's a good fuck."

Something that I didn't know was breaking finally cracks, and I get about half an inch away from his smug little face. I can hear yelling and I know it's coming from me, but I don't know where the words are coming from because all that's running through my mind is rage. I vaguely sense another body come in between us, but I don't realize it's Cami until I hear the crack of his hand striking her face.

All concern about myself flies out the window, and I throw myself at Steven, screaming at him to get out and get away from her. He continues to stand in the entrance hallway, throwing obscenities at me as fast as I can hurl them back.

I hear the door open and strong arms wrap around my waist, pulling me away from Steven. I start to fight until I see dark curls spilling over my shoulder and realize it's Jasmine. I look in front of me to see Anthony all up in Steven's face, pulling out all of his Bushwick upbringing. Jasmine tries to pull me into a hug, but I refuse, frantically looking around for Cami.

I finally spot her in the corner of the room, arms wrapped around her legs and head buried in her knees. Every part of me wants to wrap my arms around her and never let go, but I know that forcing physical contact on her right now is not the way to go. Instead I crouch down about a foot from her, feeling Jas behind me rubbing circles on my back.

"Cami? He's gone." I glance behind me and that's true, I figure Anthony has either called the cops or taken him outside to rough him up. She doesn't move, doesn't react at all, so I gingerly reach out and put a hand on her shoulder. Her head shoots up at the unknown touch, but I see her relax a little when she locks eyes with me. I hear Jasmine gasp and it takes me a second to process that it's because of the red mark across Cam's cheekbone. Hesitantly, I sit closer to Cam, opening my arms. After a second, she climbs into my outstretched arms and I finally break down. All feelings of missing Steven have fled and have been replaced by burning hatred that I feel all the way down to my toes.

I look at Jasmine again, really registering her presence for the first time. "How did you? I mean-why? How did you know..." Jasmine tips her head at the girl in my arms.

"Cam called. She was upset, I knew we needed to come." I lean down to press a kiss to Cami's forehead.

"Thank you. God, I'm so sorry Cam. You shouldn't have gotten involved in this." Her hair is getting drenched with my tears now, but she stays quiet as Jasmine hands me a tissue.

Anthony comes back in now, sporting messy hair but looking no worse for wear.

"He's gonna leave you alone now, Pip. Don't worry about that asshole anymore." He crouches down and wraps his arms around his girlfriend. His chin tips in Cami and my direction and I see the couple have a silent conversation before Jasmine turns to me.

"You two can't be alone tonight. Are you okay staying here, or do you want to come back to our place?" I nudge Cami, hoping for a response, but all I get is a twitch.

"Here is fine; I'm worried about her on the subway this late at night." Jas nods and gets up off the floor, and I catch her arm. "But you'll stay?" Jasmine's eyes soften, and she squeezes my hand with a nod.

Cami won't let go of me, so with Jasmine's help I scoop her up and carry her into my room. Anthony's pacing in the living room, quietly talking to someone on the phone, and while I think I hear my name I'm too exhausted to investigate. Jasmine perches on the side of the bed, still holding my hand, while I try to get in the most comfortable position I can with Cami still on me like a human koala bear. This whole time, her breath has been coming in short bursts, and I'm relieved to hear it slow down as she drifts off into what I pray will be peaceful sleep.

I look at Jasmine through tears. "He accused me of using Cam to replace him. He thought I was sleeping w-with" my voice cracks and I end the thought there as Jasmine inhales sharply.

"That asshole. Phillipa, I'm gonna kill him."

"I-I was supposed to keep her safe. I promised, Jas." Jasmine coos at me and starts tracing circles on the back of my hand with her thumb.

"And you did, Pip. She's safe now. This was so beyond your control. Don't blame yourself." Cami mumbles something in her sleep and pulls me closer to her, and I nod slowly.

"She's safe. She's here."

********

lol remember when I wrote fluff? *evil laugh*