day 1,583

Carl and Ron take a trip in the woods for a usually boring chore. (fluff)

Carl unceremoniously pushed the rifle into Ron's arms, turning away from the now armed teen without batting an eye. The gun was heavy in the Anderson boy's arms, and he looked less than pleased to be trusted with the deadly weapon, let alone carry it.

"You've got my back, right?" Carl asked over his shoulder, sifting through the leaves for dry wood to bring back to Alexandria. Ron hefted his full backpack and the gun, screwing up his face in a hopeless attempt to get his friend's undivided attention (which ultimately failed).

"Of course I do, I just-"

Carl cut him off, tossing the few sticks he'd found, that weren't already rotting, into his half full duffle.

"Good. It's getting dark and we're not near finished."

He straightened up, hopping a fallen tree with a bounce and the help of his free hand, his left clutching the bag's shoulder strap. He disappeared over the large trunk, leaving Ron nervous, trudging through the grass clumsily as he called after Carl, knowing if he didn't keep up with the sheriff's son, that he was sure to fall behind.

"I don't know how to use this!" He yelped, holding the rifle stiffly.

Carl helped him get over the log, grip hard but eyes soft. Ron staggered a bit, but Carl made sure he was kept upward, despite the weight of the bag on his back.

"Don't you want me to carry this?" He asked the boy, whom he was ever so fond of.

His reply was a curt 'no', as he hitched the heavy bag up once again, giving Carl a quick smile. Carl returned it, leaning in to give his lover a soft kiss on the mouth, rifle trapped between them.

Ron let the gun fall clumsily, and left it abandoned on the muddy ground as his arms slid around Carl's neck.

Ron was a few inches taller than Carl, and he found it cute how his boyfriend stood on the toes of his mud caked boots to capture his lips. As the kiss deepened, bodies flush against in each other, their bags slid to the ground.

It was a good spot to rest, anyway. The woods was quiet and the sun was just setting, chilling the air with it's absence.

They pulled away for only seconds at a time, to breath, before continuing with their hands trapped in each other's hair.

It was the little things that made surviving worth it.

a/n: i like making close caption edits