17. Counselors

When she reaches her house, she stands there for a few minutes, just looking. She doesn't notice when Jay spots her from the kitchen window, but her eyes snap to the door when he comes out.

"Are you planning on coming in or do you want me to bring you a blanket and a pillow and we can camp out in the back yard?" he asks, and she wants to laugh but her face remains devoid of any emotions. He sees that, putting a hand on her forearm. "Are you okay? John asked you out again?" There's a smirk on his face as he says that, but the notion is still sweet and genuine.

"Yeah. Though this time I did go out with him." His eyes widen, pulling back his hand.

"You – you did?" he stutters, and she smiles for the first time.

"Yeah. Thought I should just get it over with." he nods.

"So how did it go?"

"It was...okay I guess. He knew I wasn't thrilled, but it was a bit...I don't know. Eye opening?"

"Eye opening? What the hell does that mean?"

She chuckles. "I just saw something I wasn't expecting. He was pretty sweet and gentleman-y. I didn't tell him this, of course, but I couldn't help but notice. I still can't stand him, but I can't deny he's persistent."

"So...do you like him?" she laughs and he laughs with her.

"God no. But I am stuck with going out for dinner with him."

"What?" he asks and she can't help but cringe.

"I kinda, sorta, maybe agreed to have dinner with him." He looks baffled for a second before he bursts out laughing, and she can't help but join him.

"You really don't know how to get out of these situations."

"No little brother, I call this getting things done. It's a lot easier if I do it right away then leave it last minute." He wants to reply but he mulls it over for a second and nods.

"I guess you're right...but I still find this entire situation hilarious."

"You and me both." She ruffles his hair and notices how tall he is. He moves away, grumbling something about why does she always have the need to do that, and she realizes he's as tall as her now.

"You've gotten taller." She remarks.

"Yeah. In a few months, I won't have to look up at you ever again in my life." He says with a smile, but she smirks, cocking back her fist, delivering a soft blow to his stomach, but hard enough for him to double over.

"Don't be so sure. I'll still kick your ass if you don't do your homework or break curfew." She hears him chuckle and her smile widens.

"Want to head in?" he asks after a few moments, and she shakes her head.

"Then let's go sit in the yard. People are staring at us here." His shyness makes her chest tighten, and she can't really figure out from whom he picked it up because no one else in her family is shy. She follows him to the yard, sitting on the old swing set that no one has used in ages. The sun is starting to set, and the shadows play across the grass, acting out their own little play and enjoying as she watches each one of them appear, do its part and then disappear like it never existed in the first place.

"Why were you standing in front of the house in the first place? I doubt our house is such an exterior masterpiece that you just wanted to admire it." She chuckles at his joke, but she loses her smile immediately.

"I saw someone yesterday, and today for that matter. And last Saturday. And it just got me thinking." She says. Jay looks at her, expecting her to continue, but sensing she won't unless she gets a push.