Chapter One

"Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed."

~Benjamin Franklin

Chapter One

Kellan stood on the field, firing arrows at a target board that was thirty feet away. He had yet to hit the bull's-eye once and his patience with himself was wearing thin. He pulled the string back until the feathers of his arrow were touching his cheek.

A young boy scampered from behind the archer, darting as fast as his short legs could carry him, "Kellan!" He shouted, waving his arms to catch his attention.

Kellan didn't even flinch when he heard his name. He released the arrow calmly and it finally struck the board directly in the center. He smirked at the accomplishment and gradually turned to face the boy, Bradley Steele. "What?"

"Winston wants you. He said it's very urgent and you need to come see him in his office immediately." Bradley rattled the words off as quickly as he could. This was serious.

Kellan groaned, more inclined to continue his training, especially given that archery wasn't his best area. But this seemed important... "Can you put this up for me then?" He sighed and held out his bow and arrows to the boy.

Bradley nodded and took them. "Sure, but hurry to Winston's." He walked away.

Kellan walked towards the building that towered over the field, silently exhorting its power over the land beneath. It stood over 10 stories high with four separate wings that served as the living quarters of the students enrolled in J. P. Winston Academy.

Winston's office was positioned on the second floor of the building. Kellan passed by the front desk where the secretary, Marietta, took post for most of the day. Kellan saw her pick up her phone and quickly dial a number as he walked up the stairs. He knew that she was letting Winston know that he would be there momentarily.

Kellan walked to Winston's office and the door was wide open, but Winston was immersed in paperwork on his desk. Kellan leaned against the door frame and cleared his throat. "You wanted me?"

Winston grinned. "Come in." He gestured toward the chair in front of his desk and rose to his feet. "Have a seat."

Robert Winston was a tall, lean man. Twenty-eight years old and impressively successful given he hadn't even experienced 3 decades of life yet. He was already the head of the Academy, a sort of boarding school for teenagers and young adults in Clandestine, and he was one of the wealthiest men in this world, thanks to his late father, Joseph Winston.

Kellan walked into the room and sat in the chair opposite the one that Winston had just vacated. Kellan looked around the room as Winston strolled over to a file cabinet in the corner of the room. He pulled out the top drawer and skimmed across the tips of folders, quickly retrieving a single Manila folder. He skimmed through it without actually looking at the contents and turned back to Kellan. "Parker," he dropped the folder on the dark mahogany desk. "It seems like we've missed one."

Kellan frowned, not completely understanding. He took the folder and opened it. He looked over the first page and saw a picture of a teenage girl pinned to the sheets with a metal paper-clip. She was beautiful with dark green eyes the color of emeralds. She had healthy tan skin and a beautiful smile. Her wavy hair was dark brown with a few strands that were darker, obviously black. Her face seemed smooth and perfect with no blemishes whatsoever. Instantly, he knew she was an immortal. He read the details. She was a basic immortal. Apparently, the last one. They'd missed her because her parents had put her up for adoption in the mortal world just before the Cold had gotten uncontrollable. Kellan looked back to Winston, his jaw set. "Do you want me to eliminate her?"