chapter 20

The jury had taken a small break before they would get back for more.

"The case looks like a 50-50," said Zayn. "But I'm hoping things will take a positive turn soon."

"You haven't even mentioned Cowell yet," said Harry. "Once you do that, you'll have the edge. Besides , Avery said he found evidence which we don't even know about."

"It'll be okay." said Liam.

"Where's Louis?" asked Niall.

"Uh, about that," said Harry. "Someone shot Louis. "

"What?!" exclaimed Zayn and Niall.

"Yeah," said Liam. "Most probably someone who was trying to silence us."

"Don't worry too much," said Harry. "He'll be alright."

"Boys," said Avery. "Time to go back. The second session is about to begin."

Everyone assembled back to their respective seats.

Avery stepped forward. He called a young woman called Stephanie Stells to the stand.

"Ms. Stells, you were a reporter on the night of the murder," said Avery. "Can you tell us about the phone call you recieved?"

Zayn realized that's where he saw her. On TV, reporting the death.

"I was called at 10:45 and told to report the murder at 11," said Stephanie. "By Detective Brooks."

"That's fifteen minutes," said Avery. "Fifteen minutes sounds like a good amount of time to escape from the crime scene. Why did you wait so long to report the death, Detective?"

"Objection, Your Honour," said Perkins. "The accusations against Detective Brooks for murder are absolutely ridiculous."

"Oh," said Avery. "I'm not accusing the detective. In fact, I would like to call to the stand, Mr. Simon Cowell."

The crowd gasped. Simon stepped forward.

"Mr. Cowell, is it true that you often inflicted violence upon your daughter to correct her?" asked Avery.

"Object-"

"Let him finish, Ms. Perkins," said Judge Wally.

"I do not understand the question." said Simon.

"Then I shall rephrase," said Avery. "Did you often hit your daughter when she was younger if she committed a mistake?"

"No," said Simon, plainly.

"So what is your explanation for this video I'm about to show the jury?" asked Avery, inserting a CD into the booth.

The video showed a young Cassie running around a lawn. She was happily launching a toy rocket into the air. Her mother was laughing, too, due to the fact that the rocket often kept hitting Simon's chest. Simon looked unimpressed. He yanked the rocket from her hands and slapped the girl. There was a sound of exclamation before the recording eas stopped.

"How did he get that video?" whispered Niall.

"I'm guessing Liam and Harry convinced his wife to take the stand," said Zayn. "And she submitted evidence."

"Ms. Perkins, you said that Mr. Horan's behavior with the piñata was strange," said Avery. "He was drunk that night and the object he struck was a non-living object. And his intentions did not appear to have any malice."

Everyone was silent.

"I would like to ask you, then," he continued. "How is this video of Mr. Cowell, abusing his own child, for a silly mistake which I'm sure everyone in this hall would have committed in their lives - different?"

"I was correcting her mistakes," said Simon. "It is natural for a parent to do so."

"If you think violence is the answer for correcting your child," said Avery. "Then there is something psychologically wrong with you."

"But you didn't murder your daughter," said Avery. "However, you do know who did it. I know who did it, too. And there's someone else in the crowd who knows exactly what happened that night as well."

"Who?" whispered Eleanor.
"Gina?" asked Harry.
"Not possible," said Liam. "Gina knows Simon had something to do with it but she doesn't know about Khan."
"Andy's the only one left," said Eleanor, glancing at Andy who was nervous.

"Mr. Stark what are you insinuating?" asked Judge Wally, exasperated.

"If Your Honour and Ms. Perkins have no further questions, I would like to bring that person to the stand."

The two shook their head.

"Alright," said Avery. "I call to the stand, Gina Morelli Cowell."