21- Draco's Invitation

HAILEY'S POV

Cedric just laughed and looked down. His face was blushing like crazy, which I found extremely cute.

"Hailey, there's something I've been meaning to ask you." My stomach fluttered and my chest tightened.

"Yes?" I asked, staring into his beautiful blue eyes.

"Will you go to the Yule Ball with me?" I was crushed. I knew he was going to ask that. I remembered McGonagall words in my head "No champions may attend the ball together".

"Cedric... you know we can't... No champions can attend together." I frowned.

"I know, love. I just had to ask you so you know that even though I may be forced to attend with someone else, you're the one I asked first and the one I really want to be there with." He pulled my hands that were attached to his with his body as he moved to sit on the grass. I couldn't help but love the gesture. Even though Cedric knew we couldn't go together, he still considered how I'd feel about him going with someone else, rather than just asking another girl. I would have been okay with that, but I love that he thought this through. I wondered if Draco would have done the same...

"So who are you going with then?" I asked. He sighed and closed his eyes tight.

"I... I was thinking... Cho Chang." He sounded nervous. Cedric was a very organized guy, of course he thought about a backup plan. Sure I was a little mad I couldn't attend (probably the only dance I ever would attend) with my boyfriend, but I wanted him to have a good time regardless.

"She's pretty." I nodded, biting my lip and looking down at the grass, picking a few blades.

"She's not you." He grabbed my hand that was playing with the grass, forcing my eyes to look into his. "This makes me feel so guilty. You're the one I want to go with. It's your hand I want to hold when I walk into that ball... your waist I want to grab during the waltz... Not Cho, not anybody. Just you." He sighed and looked down.

"Diggory..." I rubbed his back. "Don't feel guilty. It's okay. You and I know you're mine and I'm yours and that's all that really matters... right?" His eyes made contact with mine and he smiled, accepting it. "I'm okay if you go with Cho," I said and nodded.

"What about you? Who is the prettiest girl at Hogwarts going to take to the Yule Ball?" He asked and I blushed at his choice of words.

"I'm definitely not the prettiest girl at Hogwarts, but I didn't really have anyone in mind other than you... I'd probably go with Harry as friends if he wasn't a champion. I think Ron is going with some girl from Gryffindor and Neville's already asked Ginny. Dean is going with Celeste obviously and I overheard that Seamus is going to ask Lavender on Friday." I sighed. I knew I forgot another boy I know...

"Hailey..." Cedric looked at me.

"I know, but he's the only one left. I don't want to go with a stranger-"

"Take Sam or Kellan?" He asked and I laughed a little.

"Your friends are lovely, Diggory, but they're three years older than me. Imagine how that would look, especially if I attended with Sam." He laughed with me, realizing what he suggested was a little crazy. "It's only one night! Remember, I'm yours." I kissed him on the cheek to help my case and I could feel the heat radiate off his cheeks.

"Okay. I guess if Draco asks, you may attend with him." Cedric mumbled and I looked away.

I wasn't sure if I should be happy or upset.

"Thank you," I mumbled back. We sat in silence for a moment. I thought about the second task and my egg. My egg! "Cedric!" I yelled. There was a crazy smile on my face. I wondered if we all had the same clue, or if each was specified for every person.