19- Dates To The Ball

HARRY'S POV

I couldn't believe I was so stupid. I had ruined everything, I knew it. Hermione had been sitting with me in the common room all day after the dance practice, convincing me I hadn't done anything too bad, but I knew she was wrong. I thought back to dancing with Hailey. I pushed her too far. I asked too much of her.

She hates me, she must.

"Stop beating yourself up over it, Harry, it really isn't as bad as you think," Hermione said, who had one arm wrapped around my shoulder and the other on the shoulder closest to her, rubbing them, a worried expression on her face.

"You've been telling me that since we left the ballroom, Hermione," I stated the fact.

"Just apologize, Harry. Really, it's not that hard." I laughed as Hermione flew her hands up in the air. I admired the way she could always cheer me up.

"Maybe at dinner today," I said which reminded me of dinner, so I ran upstairs to get myself ready for the meal. When I came back down, Hermione was already ready and we began walking towards the Great Hall. Ron had been spending the day with Neville and we met him in the Great Hall.

"How was your day?" Hermione asked Ron, hugging him tightly. I ignored their random acts of affection as Ron told her some story about the Black Lake. A certain red head sat down in front of me and flipped a piece of it out of her eyes.

"What's with them?" Ginny asked as she grabbed a dinner roll and took a bite. I looked at the two. Ron had his arm around Hermione's shoulder and she rested her head on his shoulder.

I grabbed a dinner roll as well as I turned my attention back to Ginny.

"No idea..." I had noticed recently that Hermione had become more affectionate. Probably something about girls around our age. Ron and Hermione's strange behaviour was the least of my worries right now. I looked for Hailey, but couldn't find her, so I looked at Cho instead. I took a sip of pumpkin juice and realized she had her hair tied back and was rolling her eyes at her friend, looking at me.

Wait, looking at me?

I accidentally spat some of the juice I had in my mouth out as she laughed at me. I laughed, embarrassed and waved. Shit, she caught me staring. Her friends all laughed and gave me winks.

By the time dinner ended, I still hadn't seen my sister anywhere. Either she didn't come to dinner or she came in when I wasn't looking for her. I slumped back to the Gryffindor tower, tired and miserable. Hermione and Ron caught up to me just before I entered the portrait and Hermione hugged me from behind quickly. My thoughts about Hermione being more affectionate sprung back to my mind.

"Why are you still sad? I spent my Friday trying to cheer you up!" She smiled. I couldn't help but return it.

"Thanks, Hermione." I sat in front of the fireplace and Hermione and Ron sat on the couch, a little too close for my liking.

"Okay, Ron, tell him what you told me at dinner." Hermione breathed.

"I... I saw something when I was with Neville today..." Ron started and a thousand answers floated through my head.

"And?" I pressed him on.

"It was Hailey... I saw her with..." Ron was talking awkwardly and I wanted to know why more than anything.

"Draco?" I answered obviously. Ron shook his head from side to side.

"I saw them on the Hogsmeade path... they were holding hands..." Ron wouldn't tell me who.

"Ron tell him," Hermione said, gently and rubbed his arm. She saw me looking at the spot where she rubbed his arm and pulled back quickly, biting her lip.