Chapter Thirty One: Daisies Down The Isle...

*Katniss*
"Katniss I think I'm going to puke." Delly sits on my couch where her, Nadia, Finn, Posy, and I get ready. Poor thing.
"Delly your getting married, Peeta is going to be waiting for you at the end of that isle, you have nothing to worry about."
   It's been about four months since Peeta proposed to her and it's well into spring. The sun shines warm and bright and wild flowers spring up everywhere. It's a beautiful day for a wedding.
"I know but-"
"No buts' Delly! This is the happiest day of your life, I can promise you there's no reason for you to have doubts and I can assure you that Peeta doesn't have any either." Nadia shakes Delly's shoulders as she reassures her of this. Some relief shows in Delly's blue eyes.
   Nadia turns back to me and finishes loosely curling my long brown hair. I wear a simple navy green dress that hugs my curves, but not too much, and falls to my mid-thighs. Nadia insisted that I at least put on mascara and After much arguing I finally agreed.
   As Nadia finishes, I look over at Delly who nervously plays with her fingers. Peeta might just pass out from how gorgeous she looks. She wears a flowy lace dress with short sleeves that goes to her knees. Her hair is in her natural curls and she has a simple crown of daisies. She wears no makeup but she doesn't need it, she has a natural glow to her face.
   Haymitch peeks his head in the door and gives us all a five minute warning. A blush comes to my face when I remember who will be waiting at the end of the isle for me. Peeta and Gale have gotten to be good friends over the last few months and Peeta asked him to be one of the groomsmen.
   Nadia notices my blush and she raises an eyebrow at me and smirks.
"Oh shut up." I tell her rolling my eyes, but blushing more.
"I think not! Tell me, when is Gale going to finally propose to you?" She places a hand on her hip and Delly laughs. I shake my head.
"We've been talking about it..."
Nadia groans and Delly laughs more. Little Finn hops onto Delly's lap and asks what's so funny.
"You know what's so funny?" She asks. He shakes his head and smiles.
"The...tickle monster!" Delly proceeds to tickle him and he starts to squeal and laugh. He's an adorable ring bearer. He wears simple brown slacks and a white shirt with suspenders. He squirms out her lap and runs over to Posy, who is spins around and around watching the skirt of her dress splay out.
    After spending only hours with her during Gale's surgery almost a year ago, Delly was in love with Posy and immediately asked her to be the flower girl in the wedding. She takes Finn's hands and spins him around with her. They both laugh with delight.
"Let's go!" Haymitch pokes his head in the door again. Nadia turns to the mirror and smoothes her light blue dress, same style as mine, and runs her fingers through her light brown hair, streaked with gold.
   Posy grabs my hand and I lead her out the door and into the car that will take us to the outdoor wedding sight. Finn sits on Nadia's lap and points at things out the window.
"Katniss?" Posy looks at me expectantly.
"Yes."
"Can I be the flower girl in your wedding?" She smiles and I blush for the millionth time today.
"Of course." I tell her, smiling. She claps her hands and giggles.
   We arrive at the wedding sight and Nadia leads us into a makeshift tent where we wait for the music to start. Delly closes her eyes and takes a deep breath. I go over to her and grab her hands.
"Hey, just remember he loves you." I tell her. She breathes a sigh of relief and her eyes lighten.
"Thank you Katniss." I wink at her and take my place behind Posy and Finn. The sound of a fiddle starts to play. I kneel down and tell Posy and Finn to hold hands and start walking. They casually walk down the isle and every few steps Posy reaches into her dress pocket and throws petals into the air. She gives Finn some too and they both giggle. Sounds of "awwwee" come from the small crowd that is seated.
   I take a deep breath and walk out from behind the tent door. I immediately make eye contact with Gale who stands next to Haymtich, the best man. I break out into a smile as I walk and I can see him blushing as well. He looks very handsome with black slacks and nice white shirt tucked in. The sleeves are cleanly rolled up showing his forearms.
   Haymitch rolls his eyes at the looks being made, and I smirk as I take my place next to Posy. Nadia makes her way down and takes her place next to me. The guests then stand up as Delly makes her appearance. Peeta breaks out into a grin and Delly blushes looking down at her bare feet. She glides down the isle and joins hands with Peeta. I can't help but smile at how happy they are.
   They say their vows and the preacher tells Peeta to kiss the bride. Peeta dips Delly and they share a long kiss. Cheers ring out from the crowd and the fiddler strikes up a lively tune. Peeta stands Delly back up and she laughs as he takes her hand and they dance down the isle.
   I smile and join hands with Gale. He spins me around and I laugh. Posy runs up and splits our hands. We each take one of hers and swing her down the isle. She laughs wholeheartedly and Gale smiles down at her. He's so good with kids it makes my heart melt. Maybe having one of our own some day wouldn't be too bad. As long as he was with me.
   We all head further into the meadow where a wooden dance floor has been set up. There's tables and chairs all around and we all eat an amazing meal pre-prepared by the bride and groom themselves. The sun starts to set and the small band strikes up a tune. People flood the dance floor and start to dance. Gale takes Posy and spins her round and round. Annie and Finn dance together until Joanna steals him away. Effie and Haymitch dance closely and I throw him a smirk from my place at a table with Nadia.
   Gale walks down the small steps from the dance floor and offers me his hand.
"May I have this dance?" He smiles and I return it, taking his hand. He leads me up the steps as the band starts playing a slow song. I wrap my arms around his neck and his wrap around my waist. Gale presses his forehead to mine.
"You look...amazing." He blurts out.
"I can say the same about you." I smirk. He smiles and bites his lip.
"What can I say, I told you I was devilishly handsome." I roll my eyes.
"Oh hush." I tell him. He captures my gaze and I can see that troublesome look in his eyes.
"Make me." He challenges. I stand on tip toe and crash my lips onto his. After a moment I pull away.
"That works." He sighs and I laugh as he spins me around.
We talk and dance under the stars for a long time, I couldn't be happier.
   Suddenly Gale smiles and takes my hand, leading me down the steps and out towards the fence.
"Gale where are we going?"
"Don't you trust me Catnip?" He looks back and winks at me. He helps me over the fence which proves to be harder to do in a dress. Then he leads me into the woods. We walk for a few minutes until we reach the spot where Gale broke his wrist.
"Gale what are we doing here?" I laugh. He runs his hands through his hair nervously. The sound of rustling leaves comes from behind us and I whip my head around on instinct. I sigh in relief when I realize it was just a breeze and I turn back to Gale.
   I find him on one knee on the ground, a small box lying open in his hands. My hands go to my mouth and tears spring to my eyes.
"Katniss I fell in love with you when I was fourteen in this spot. The minute you smiled at me I knew I was a goner."
I remove my hands from my mouth and smile.
"And Katniss I want to make you smile like that every day from here on out. I love you and I will love you until the end of my days. Will you marry me?" One of those choking sounds manages to escape before I move without thinking. I step forward and leaning down I kiss him hard, hands caressing his face. He slowly stands up and places one hand on my cheek, still kissing me. I pull away and a tear rolls down my face.
"Yes." I whisper.
"You will?" He asks. I laugh and wipe away my tears.
"Of course! Don't sound so surprised." He laughs in relief and slips the ring onto my finger. I kiss him again, smiling against our lips before stepping back to examine the ring. It's simple but beautiful with an emerald in the center of a silver band. As I look closer the band looks like the branch of a tree, bent into a circle.
"It's beautiful." I murmur.
"Not as beautiful as you." He tells me. His grey eyes meet mine and I blush. His hand brushes my cheek.
"I love you." He says softly and I place my hands on his chest.
"And I love you." He smiles and kisses me again. His lips move in sync with mine and I smile as he kisses me over and over. Before he can get too carried away I break apart.
"We should get back so we get send the bride and groom off." I tell him blushing. He groans disappointedly and I laugh and kiss him quickly once more, before taking his hand and leading him back to the party.
   As we get back I can see everyone line dancing and I pull Gale up the steps to join them. By the end of the night I'm exhausted from the dancing and all the girls surrounding me to look at my ring. Nadia was the one to see it first, she snatched my hand up and dragged me up to where Delly and Peeta were sitting. Delly squealed and hugged me so tight I couldn't breathe. Delly beckons my mother over who smiles and congratulates Gale and I. After that almost all the guests paid us a visit to congratulate us and I honestly felt guilty about stealing the attention from Delly. She reassured me she'd had enough attention for a lifetime, but I make it up to her by toasting her at the end of the night.
Finally Peeta and Delly announce that they're leaving and we all walk them to the train station. Gale intertwines his fingers with mine and we walk hand in hand the rest of the way. I hug Peeta and Delly goodbye as they are going on a honeymoon to district four. Before breaking my embrace with Delly I remind her,"Don't get too frisky now." She pulls away and rolls her eyes and I laugh and wink at her before stepping off the platform. We cheer and wave them off as the train speeds away.
The rest of the guests go back to the dance floor to keep dancing but Gale and I decide to go home. We bid everyone goodnight and I promise to get together with Joanna before she leaves town. After a few hundred more congratulations Gale and I walk home. His arm wraps around my shoulder and pulls me close to him. His body heat keeps out the chilly spring night air. I sigh and Gale laughs lightly.
"You happy?" He asks smiling at me.
"How couldn't I be? My best friends are married and I've spent the whole night dancing with my new fiancée."
He smiles at that word and I blush. Suddenly, he sweeps me off my feet bridal style and carries me up the steps of our house. I laugh and, smiling, he kisses me as he opens the door. And in this moment I know, I couldn't be happier with anyone else.

Hey guys! Sorry for the long chapter😁I had a lot I wanted to fit in...hope you guys liked it though! Thank y'all so so much for reading!:)