Chapter 12: New Years In L.A.

It's been a week since Sarah and I moved to L.A. I haven't told James that I have moved here yet either. I was at home, it's weird calling here home, making cookies just because. Sarah comes running though the door just as I take the cookies out of the oven. "YOU ARE NEVER GOING TO BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED! But first I must take a cookie!" She goes to take a cookie but I slap her hand away.

"They're hot. You will burn yourself." I put down the tray. "So what happened?"

"I got us jobs!" Sarah jumps up and down.

"Really?! Where?!" 

"At the cafe bar down the road! We will work as waitresses during the day and will be the 'gig' at night."

"Woo hoo! First gig."

"Yeah, yeah. Can I have a cookie now?" I roll my eyes at her.

"Fine. But if you get burnt-"

"HOT!" Sarah took a cookie and shoved it in her mouth. She was breathing like a dragon now and I couldn't help but laugh at her. "But they taste amazing!"

"So when is our first shift?"

"New Year's Eve from 12pm to 3am New Year's Day. So in one week." She says after managing to swallow the cookie.

"Sweet." I take a cookie now cause the were at a reasonable temperature.

"Have you told James that were in Los Angles yet?" I shake my head. "Why?"

"I don't know. I don't want him to freak out." She gives me the 'are you serious look'.

"Tell him..."

"I will, but not yet."

"Urg. Fine. We should practice some songs." We go over to the area where we had managed to set up a mini studio area with my drum set and Sarah's keyboard and guitar.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"You ladies are doing great!" The manager, Bruce, says to us as we take off our aprons after working 6 hours with breaks of course. New Year's Eve is a busy day. "Now let's hope you can sing as well as you can serve customers." He jokes. Sarah and I go to get changed. In the bathroom we fix our hair as it has gone all messy from running around taking orders.

"You ready for this?" Sarah asks.

"Ready as I'll ever be." We go to the stage and Bruce introduces us.

"Ladies and gentlemen!" He says into the microphone. "We have two new people joining our music staff. Please give a warm welcome to Libby and Sarah!" The crowd claps. There were a lot of people here tonight. Sarah and I go up on stage. I sit behind the drum set while Sarah picks up her guitar. The other people to the music staff were a young Scottish boy who looked about 17 called Sam and twins Faith and Grace who looked about 20. Sam played base while Faith played the keyboard and Grace played the electric guitar. We had met up earlier this week and practiced some songs. I start on the drums.

[Sarah:]

Give me a second I,

I need to get my story straight

My friends are in the bathroom

Getting higher than the Empire State

My lover she's waiting for me

Just across the bar

My seat's been taken by some sunglasses

Asking about a scar and...