When The Dead Walk

Camilas POV

"Kaki, kaki" I heard the yelps of my younger sister, Sofi, in the distance as I ran.
The heart stopping growls erupting behind me. It's been 3 years since the outbreak or whatever it was, it wasn't pretty. Zombies? Walkers? Dead Ones? Name them what you will, they eat people and by God are they fast.

I reached Sofi, she was hidden in a gap under a tree, smart. I grasped onto her hand and helped her out from under it, before we both began to run.
We made our way through what was left of the forrest, Sofi ended up being slung over my shoulders as she was getting tired. The more tired she got the louder her screeching became. We finally reached some point of safety, not a walker in sight.

"Sofi, you need to be quiet" I pleaded as I placed her down in front of me, placing my hand on her cheek "please stop crying" I moved my thumb slowly, caressing her face "you want the bad things to go away?" She nodded at me with a sniffle "well we need to be quiet"

Not long after Sofi finally settled, we made our way towards a brick house. Nothing to big. We entered the house, checking every room ensuring it was safe. Once we had checked it over, we began barricading the doors and windows, following this we did another sweep of the home and finally set up shop in what may have been a living room before all this had started. Throughout the house there wasn't much, no pictures, a few blankets a pillows, even some books.

"We are safe kaki?" Sofi questioned to which I could only nod, with a sad smile on my face. How are you suppose to tell a 8 year old that she isn't safe, this set up won't last long, every time we stop it's only for a few days if we are lucky. She soon slipped into a deep slumber, leaving me to read one of the books I had found 'Fault in our stars'.

Morning came all to fast. We made it through the night, there was the odd ruckus outside but nothing serious. Sofi had managed to sleep through the night peacefully.

Crash

I shot up off my seat. What was that? I moved slowly towards the covered window, moving what was covering it but only a little bit, enough to pear out without being noticed. Walkers. More than one and someone fighting them? I pulled the cover a little further. A girl. I watched as her sword sliced it's way through the dead creatures, followed by her throwing a knife at another. Whoa. I mean I'm pretty good at fighting, but whoa. I couldn't make out much of the girl, slim with a beanie pulled firmly on her head of what looked like black hair. She finished the fight, winning of course. She saw me, I think she saw me. I snapped the curtain shut.

A few minutes passed and then a knock on the door, it was soft, I didn't move, I kept my eyes fixed on Sofi and then the door. A few more knocks followed.

"I know you're in there, I saw you" the girls voice was raspy, I didn't expect that, still I sat in silence, not moving a muscle "you know as well as I do, it's not safe out here, please" she's got me there, I got up slowly, the door was barricaded, I had set up an exit through a window at the side.

"Hey, over here" I almost whispered as I leaned out of the window, attempting to get the girls attention.

"Thought you were gonna leave me out here for a second" she smiled as she spoke, approaching the window. I held out my hand and took hers, helping her into the window, she closed it up behind her and the drape that was still hanging.

"I thought about it" I grinned slightly, earning a small chuckle from the taller girl.

"I'm glad you stopped thinking about it" she smiled softly as we approached the living space, where Sofi was laying still fast asleep.

"Oh that's Sofi, my sister"

"I like how I know her name before yours, I'm Lauren" she held out her hand and I shook it.

"Camila"

Lauren took off the jacket she had on as well as the beanie, letting her hair flow freely. Now she was stood in front of me, I felt like I knew her, her green eyes and her dark hair, the nose ring, Lauren. Jauregui? It can't be, can it?

"Do you guys have food?" She questioned opening her own backpack.

"Not a lot" I answered sheepishly.

"Here" she handed me some fruits "found them earlier, I can eat them all so I guess dinners on me" she chuckled.

"Lauren?" I said loud enough for her to hear "as in Jauregui" her head snapped up, the warm smile that covered her face had disappeared, she now had a fixed frown or a look of disgust?

"How do you know that?"

"I..uh" I gulped, I felt like I was back at school, all those times she'd rammed me into a locker or yelled harsh things at me, she couldn't remember me? "We, we went to school, the same one"

"Did we?" Her eyebrow kinked as her eyes roamed my body "Cabello?" I nodded slowly "shit, of al the people to survive this hell and it would be me and you wouldn't it?" The smile returned to her face with a brief chuckle.

"God must hate me" I dropped my head to the ground, I didn't mean that.

Lauren placed her hand under my chin "he's got a funny way of showing it" she almost whispered as our eyes met a smile formed on both our faces "puberty hit you like a truck" she whispered, it was somewhat seductive?

"That might have been sort of hot, if the image of me being hit by a truck wasn't planted in my brain" Lauren let out a stifled laugh.

"Hot?" She raised her eyebrows, leaning in closer to me, her hot breath hit my lips causing my own breath to hitch in my throat. Lauren Jauregui was in front of me, she was probably an inch from my face, and there's zombies roaming the streets, this can't be real "we could make it hot".

"Could we?" A smirk briefly appeared on her face before her lips pressed against mine.