Lyra's Story

(a/n: This chapter is fairly long. Brief mentions of a couple deaths and a not-so-nice father.)

"King's Landing is not truly my home. My father is a lord in the North," Lyra began, her hands still clasping her cup tightly. "That explains why you speak in the manner you do. You don't speak the way lower born women do. Please continue." Lyra simply gave a short nod and continued her story. "When I was but a girl, no more than sixteen, I fell in love. He was wonderful. Charming, hardworking, a sense of honor." Lyra's hazel eyes watered at the memory. "My family did not approve. He had no title and only a small bit of land."

"He was not higher born?" Lyra shook her head. "No. He was a blacksmith, but that did not matter to me. He loved me and I him." It grew quiet for a moment as Lyra fought back the tears threatening to fall. The only sounds that could be heard were the crackling of the logs in the fire and the clashing of wooden swords outside. Tyrion took a gulp of his wine. "What happened, Lyra?"

The woman closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "We married in secret. Our parents were furious. My father accused me of betrayal and shunned me. I was no longer welcome in his home. My husband's father was less cruel but was irate nevertheless. They took us in for a while, but my husband wanted to support his wife on his own. We left the North and traveled to King's Landing with his family. They thought they could have a better life in the city."

Lyra scoffed and finished her tea before deciding she needed something stronger as well. Pouring herself a goblet, she sighed. "You don't have to continue if it's too painful." Lyra gave him a small smile. "It is quite alright. It's just been so long since I've shared my story. Where was I?" Tyrion chuckled. "King's Landing." Lyra took a swig of her wine, relishing in the burning sensation. "Right. By the time we reached the city, I was heavy with child. Alyss. For a while, it was good. We were happy."

Before Lyra could say more, the door opened. "Mother! Mother!" Liam cried as he ran in with a smile on his face. "What is it, my sweet?" His grin grew when Jaime and Alyss entered behind him. "I knocked Ser Jaime's sword from his hand! It was my first time!" Lyra and Tyrion chuckled softly. "Is that so? Well, it goes to show that Ser Jaime is an excellent teacher." Jaime was beaming down at his pupil, his own eyes lit up with excitement. "If you are finished for the evening, go get washed up for supper. Ser Jaime, Lord Tyrion, you are both more than welcome to join us."

"That sounds delightful, but you know how rumors begin, Lyra. Half the city believes we are lovers, including my young brother," Jaime replied with a smirk directed at his brother. Tyrion felt his face flush as he gazed down at his feet and he felt silly. He hadn't blushed since he was a boy. "Lord Tyrion?" He looked up and met those hazel eyes that haunted his every waking moment now. "I should like to hear more of your story, Lyra but Jaime is correct. We would not wish to sully your reputation." Lyra let out a derisive snort. "My reputation? My reputation could not be anymore sullied, Lord Tyrion. Perhaps you could return with Ser Jaime tomorrow and we can continue our discussion?"

Tyrion nodded before rising from his chair and following Jaime from the cottage. When the door shut behind Tyrion, Jaime looked down at him. "You are smitten, dear brother." Tyrion didn't argue. How could he? The two began walking back toward the Keep. "Are you sure that's wise, Tyrion? She is a whore after all." Tyrion glared up at Jaime, who held his hands up in surrender. "Nothing against the woman. She is not like any other whore I've ever met, but she is a whore. There is no denying it and your fortune with them outside of the brothel is not the best."

Tyrion knew he shouldn't be angry with Jaime. He was only trying to do what was best for him, but Tyrion felt his blood beginning to boil. Jaime could see his brother's rage building and quickly thought of a way to soothe the youngest Lannister. "Tyrion, I meant only to offer advice. I like Lyra and her children. I just don't wish for you to be hurt again. I remember too well what happened last time." Tyrion inwardly cringed at the memory. It still hurt from time to time when he recalled how he strangled Shae, the woman he had loved, when he discovered her betrayal.

"Thank you, Jaime." The two brothers were quiet until they reached the castle. "I will be returning tomorrow with you," Tyrion told Jaime before they parted ways for the night. "I thought as much. Just...be careful, Tyrion." Tyrion nodded and turned to walk away, his mind clouded with thoughts of everything Lyra had told him. She'd been through quite a bit, but Tyrion knew her story was only half told.

True to his word, Tyrion returned the next evening with Jaime. Lyra was hanging laundry to dry as best she could with the bandage on her hand and Alyss was assisting her. "Good evening, Ser Jaime. Lord Tyrion," Lyra greeted. Liam ran over to the two of them and looked at Tyrion. "Do you like my mother? Do you think she's pretty? Is that why you came back?" Lyra's eyes widened. "Liam! My apologies, my lord. It appears as though my son has forgotten his manners." Tyrion waved off her apology.

"Master Liam, I have returned to speak with your mother and yes, I do like your mother. She is a kind and wonderful person. And yes...I do find her rather pretty," Tyrion answered the 8 year old boy's questions with no hesitation. Liam's blue eyes narrowed, but he smiled and turned to Jaime, eager to begin his lesson. Jaime bit his lip to hide his laughter. "Come along, Liam. Alyss, will you be watching today?" Jaime asked, his voice laced with choked back chuckles. Alyss looked to her mother, who nodded. "As soon as you hang that last pair of trousers, you may go."

As soon as Alyss was out of earshot, Lyra turned her attention back to Tyrion. "I suppose you want to hear the rest of my story?" Tyrion assured her he did. "Very well. I believe I had just arrived in King's Landing with my husband and goodfamily. My husband found work quickly enough. He was able to provide for us and when Liam was born, we were a perfect family. A happy, loving family. Until-" Lyra's gaze moved over to her children and Tyrion could see the unshed tears in her eyes. He didn't want to upset her, but now he was curious and she knew it.

"During the siege of the Blackwater, my husband felt it was his duty to fight for his city, though he had no love for Joffrey. My charming, honorable Niclas never came home that night. He was run through by a sword belonging to one of the Kingsguard. His own people." Her tears were now falling freely and she made no move to dry them. She was sitting on a chair, her hands clenched into fists and her gaze on her lap. Tyrion pulled out a handkerchief and walked over to the crying woman. She looked up as he reached out to wipe away her tears. "I am sorry that happened to you. Perhaps we should stop for now." Lyra sniffled and shook her head.

"No. I said I would tell you the rest and I shall. When Niclas died, his father was ill. He could no longer work. I sent a raven to my father, begging him to reconsider. To at least take me in for a short time until I could learn a trade or some sort. He sent word that, while I would be welcomed back, my children, his children would not be. I could not leave them." Tyrion stood there in silence, unsure of how to respond. While his father had not been the best of men, he took care of his family. The family name had been the most important thing in Tywin's eyes.

"I do not blame you, Lyra. No mother should ever be forced to make the choice between her children and anything else." Lyra gave him a watery smile. "I chose to stay. But it didn't take long for the money we had saved to run out. I had to do something to feed my children. So, I had no alternative. I did the only thing I could do. I spread my legs. It wasn't the best thing a mother could do, but at least in Lord Baelish's employment, I'd be safe."

Tyrion heard the pride in her voice. He knew she wasn't proud to be what she was.Rather, she was proud of the fact that, despite everything, she could be certain her children were taken care of. "Now you know. Do not judge me too harshly, my lord," Lyra concluded as she moved to stand. Tyrion's small hand on her arm ceased her movements. She looked into his eyes. "I would never judge you, Lyra for you did not judge me, not once. We all have a past. You did what you needed to survive and for your children to survive." She was crying again as she sank to her knees, wrapped her arms around him,and pulled him to her. "Thank you, Tyrion."nefVc