Chapter 14

Clare was confused by Kem's words and for a long time, she just sat there, staring at her shredded tissue, wondering what on earth he was talking about. Who did he want to speak to? Why? What was going on? She was so confused that she replayed the last few exchanges of the conversation through her head and found herself asking the stupid question before she had processed it. "My aunt?"

"Yeah baby, your aunt. I'll ask her if you can call me tonight. She doesn't have to give you it back completely, just so you can talk to me." Kem reasoned that he could get her aunt to give her the phone back just long enough for a decent phone call that night. If he said the right things. It also counted on Clare behaving herself while she was enjoying the privilege.

"Oh, so you don't mind seeing my punished as long as you get what you want?" She complained. But he noticed that in all her complaints, he could still hear her footsteps and a door closing in the background. She was on the move. Clare left the apartment and ventured down to the poolside where she saw Ayah pouring over another letter from Darius with a worried frown. Obviously that dilemma wasn't solving itself either. She crossed to her aunt's seat and held her phone out, hoping the following conversation went well.

"Aunt Ayah? Kem wants to talk to you." Clare explained quietly, not exactly surprised to see that her aunt looked confused, before taking the phone and saying hello to Kem. She wasn't sure if she was more surprised that Clare had taken her advice and made the call, or that the boy wanted to talk to her.

"I see...yes...well no. Oh, I understand. If you think so. No, mine is safer. Bye." Ayah spoke so that Clare could only hear one side of the conversation. Then, surprisingly, she rhymed off her own mobile number as well. It didn't help her decide whether the plea from Kem to give her phone back had worked or not. It certainly didn't sound good to Clare, but when she was handed the phone back, she took it without argument. "He wants to say goodbye before he hangs up." Ayah explained gently, watching as Clare returned to the apartments and sat down in the lobby, on a comfortable seat to finish the phone call in private. When Clare finally asked Kem to explain what had just happened, she crossed her fingers and prayed for a good result.

"Your aunt is something else. She says no to giving you your phone back. But, she'll give you hers so you can call me. I've written it down so I know it's you. She says that if I want to talk to you, I can text her and ask, and she'll let either text back that you're busy or you'll call me." Kem explained honestly, pleased that whether Ayah had agreed to give Clare her phone back or not, he would still get to talk to her. It was fair since Clare was obviously being punished for something. He had really wanted to ask what, but he didn't have the guts. He would wait until Clare was home and ask her instead, face to face, so that she couldn't hide or run away, or hang up on him. But, as he expected, she just complained that it wasn't fair and her aunt was punishing her 'needlessly', which he didn't believe for a minute.

"Clare, it was either that or I don't get to hear your voice until we're back at school." He tried to remind her that the punishment could have been a lot worse. They might never have had the chance to have their honest chat with each other. They might not have had the chance to see or speak to each other until they went back to school if her aunt had really wanted it. That would have been unfair.

"Oh, alright. I really am sorry...I've acted a real prat lately. I just thought it was what you wanted." Clare confessed guiltily, not at all surprised that Kem sounded annoyed.

"Why didn't you believe me when I told you, myself, that it wasn't what I wanted?" He asked. He just wanted her, the way she used to be.

"Hilary."

That one word was enough of an explanation, and Kem knew it. He wouldn't normally ask what she had said to upset Clare so much, but he figured it was best to cover all the painful topics while they were apart. Then they would have time to process and deal with them before they saw each other again. "Oh great. What did the wicked witch say about me now? We're dating...she's pregnant...what? Clare, she's been spreading rumors that she's been dating me for months. Not a word of it is true." He reassured her that he had always wanted her and no-one else, and Clare was glad for it.