Chapter 8

The next morning Ayah sent Reed to a seven day a week convenience store for supplies, and then set up a dark room in the bathroom of their apartment. For two hours, she locked herself away with Olivia, teaching their daughter how to develop photographs by hand. It was a long, laborious process but as an avid reader and almost compulsive student, Olivia kept her eyes open and took in every instruction, watched every move and listened too all her mothers advice. "I know it seems like a lot of work, but in situations like these, it's vital. When dealing with secret agency information, or possible treason, then you have to be well prepared to go the extra mile." Ayah said, as they waited on their first test run to develop. She made the first copies and then Olivia would try her hand at making a second, spare set of the photographs just in case they needed security. It would also allow Olivia to put her knowledge into practice. She was itching to get a chance to do things hands on. She was excited.

"Like how you don't keep a diary anymore? It's more difficult for you to deal with things without writing them down and using that as therapy but you do it for dad." Olivia wondered curiously. She knew that her mother had done a lot and given up a lot to keep her father safe, from opposing authorities and from old enemies. But she had done it because she loved him. Her mother and father had a relationship that Olivia envied and coveted more than anything. Even if it meant she had to change her entire life, she would be happy to make that sacrifice for love.

"Exactly. Sometimes it's the small things that make the biggest difference. Now, does not keeping a diary seem like a big sacrifice? Does developing your own photos seem like a waste of time? Of course not, because they are for valid, important reasons. Letting secrets slip to the enemy, or the general public, on the other hand, would be a disaster." Ayah was glad to see that Olivia understood that some things were just more important than ego or any well laid plans that she, or Reed might have had in place prior to their relationship with one another.

Reed had thought he would spend the rest of his life in the agency, arguing with Murray, never stepping into a real relationship because it took up too much time and energy. She had planned on never getting married and loving anyone so much that she would change her whole world for him. She had always been independent and free and had hoped to stay that way, even if she did eventually get married. She had never imagined, in her wildest dreams, the life she now led. But it meant more to her than anything else.

"Well, that's them. Let's have a look." Ayah explained gently, as she lifted the first photograph from the bath tray and held it up to look at. It would need a little while on the wire she had set up to let them all dry, but she could already see that whatever was in the photograph was certainly interesting. The first photograph alone showed an unknown man, holding a very large wad of money. Ayah raised her eyebrows at it and only lifted her head when she heard a light knocking on the door.

"Lunch is all organized, just join us when you're ready. Reyes and I are going to take the kids to the park." Reed's voice called through the door, not wanting to disturb his girls, but wanting to let them know where he was going to disappear off to. Reyes had called Gregory to let him know about the film roll and that they were on it, so he knew that they would soon be in touch. Reed planned on visiting the crew's villa again that afternoon, once the kids had lunch with Ayah in the park. He wanted them to know that they would keep on visiting them and keep on hounding them until the traitor was arrested and had paid for his crimes. From the little they knew from Gregory, told over dinner the night before, the traitor had given information to the enemy, prevented them from making arrests and was suspected of sealing money from the crew. The problem was, no-one knew what he planned to do with it.

"Alright. We'll join you in about an hour." Ayah called back, allowing herself time to finish developing both sets of photographs and give them a chance to change. They had deliberately worn clothes that could get ruined, just in case there were any accidents in the dark room. So she was mildly surprised when Olivia made a request.