King, but only man

Bellona slipped into the library. No matter if it were empty or pack full, she still felt like she had to be dead quiet. Grabbing a random book, Bellona found a sofa in a dark corner. Suddenly, the sound of the door made her jump and she heard someone walk in. she remained silent and heard the figure walk to the far windows. She slowly got up and peeked through a bookcase to see King Donovan looking out at the forests and cliffs viewable from the west wing of the palace. She stifled a gasp, and was more conscience about keeping still.

Donovan had his arms crossed, a hard expression on his face, and his crown on his head. The light was soft, not shining through the window until the afternoon came, and the dark wood floors reflected shelves and chairs. She saw Donovan reach to take the crown off.

"If only this was the reason I withdraw from human kind." He muttered to himself and set the crown on top a long and thin red book. He sat and studied the crown, the got up and turned away from it. He can't be...crying...? Bellona thought he could be, and when his face turned to the light, she saw a glistening path from his eye onto his cheek and a pained expression.

His posture was poor, and he leaned over the table for support. He breathed heavily and Bellona knew she had to leave. she set the book on the couch, and planned to open the door and call to him as if he were needed somewhere...but where? Bellona scrapped the plan and just as she was about to sit down, the doors opened, and Edith walked in.

"Now my son, what is the matter."

"Nothing." He replied coldly, not facing his mother.

"I doubt that," she walked up to him and turned him by his shoulders, lightly, as he did not fight against it. "What is bothering you my child."

"Vladimir left, and so now that baker girl is going to miss him and think about him and be utterly distracted." his voice was plain. Bellona's blood started to get thick in her skill and hot.

"I don't think that's it." Edith wiped his cheek, but he flinched away.

"No?"

"No. I think you miss Vladimir and are ashamed of letting Bellona get in between you two." She smiled warmly. Bellona waited eagerly, to her surprise, for his response. One never came.

"Go to your meeting with the Queen of Arendelle for now, and cool off." And taking his mothers advice, he picked up his crown and marched out of the library, leaving his mother behind. After dead silence, Edith's voice called out,

"My dear, he is actually quite fond of you. please come out." And Bellona toyed with her fingers and she stepped out.

"Why didn't you tell him I was here?" Bellona asked, looking at the queen.

"Would you have wanted him to know?"

"No...not really." Bellona's head fell.

"He isn't a bad guy...you know..." Edith lifted Bellona's chin.

"He seems so angry and uptight all the time."

"You would be too if you had a kingdom to rule and his personality. I didn't have the heart to tell him that he has to battle the Prince of Ashward for the position as king here." Edith sighed.

"What?" Bellona was shocked.

"That's why he meets Prince Jafan after the meeting with Arendelle...Its a surprise, and so they battle."

"To...?"

"To the death if it is agreed, or until one gives out." Edith shrugged. It was tradtion in the land of Cudamacci to Battle to be king instead of arranged marriages.

"And he doesn't know?" Bellona tried to refrain from sounding alarmed, but failed.

"My sweet child, he will be alright. His strength is better than our entire army, he is powerful enough that nothing can falter him, and he is smart enough to not be tricked." Edith tried to reassure the confused and panicked girl. She left before Bellona could say another word.