Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Bounce! Bounce! The jarring motion of the bed propels me out of my slumber. My eyes spring open and land on Izzy’s mischievous face. “Finally, Audrey, I’m hungry and you’ve been sleeping forever!” Izzy continues jumping. “Well, munchkin, I bet you woke up only a few minutes ago, and now it’s your turn to be tickled for waking me up!” I grab Izzy and begin carrying out my promise.

After a few minutes of tickle-torture, I release Izzy and head to the shower. “Let me take a shower real quick then we can grab breakfast and go play by the pool, again.” I turn to look at her. “Oh, is Coco still sleeping?”

“Yup, that sounds great! I will go put on my swimsuit. Alex said that your new clothes are in the closet.” Izzy runs into the other bedroom.

The hot water soothes as it runs down my body. I let my mind drift over the revelations of the previous day. I frown, because I can’t remember anything that happened last evening. I try even harder, but my only reward is a headache. What the heck did Alex do to me!

Burning with questions for Alex, I emerge from the bathroom refreshed. I head to the closet. It had been completely rearranged, because where there once was only Alex’s clothes, half contained what could only be my new clothes. Whoever had picked these out had great taste. I found a multi-colored cheetah print bikini and put a deep v-neck white summer dress over it. Filing a tote with the necessary towels, sun block, and toys, I put on some flip flops and went in search of Izzy and Coco.

“Audrey!” Izzy’s cry makes me increase my pace. I burst into Izzy’s room and find Izzy tangled up in her swimsuit so badly that she is stuck. I can’t help but laugh as I untangle her. “These swimsuits are a pain in the butt, aren’t they?”

“It fought me.” Izzy states, “Thanks for saving me!”

With Izzy’s swimsuit and cover-up properly on, I ,carrying the tote bag and Coco who is still drowsy, leave the cabin. Miraculously, the guards aren’t standing outside my door. I guess Alex trusts that I won’t try to run while Izzy is in my care. He’s right, of course, because I would never leave her alone.

Making our way to the café for breakfast is incredibly awkward for every single person gives me a deadly glare. Izzy is oblivious of the deep hatred being shot my way, especially by the women. I just stay focused on Isabella, praying that none of them decide to start something. I’m not sure exactly why they are so vile because I thought this Pack was supposed to be accepting of humans.

Thankfully, once we get to the café, I see Reese. Hoping she could clarify some things and isn’t mad at me for lying to her, I call out, “Hey, Reese, would you like to have breakfast with us?” Reese spins around, and I can tell is about to refuse when Izzy pleads, “please, Reese!”

“Sure.” We sit at a table and order. Once Izzy is occupied with her coloring sheet, I take a deep breath and apologize. “I’m really sorry for lying to you, Reese. I was desperate and confused. I mean what would you do in my situation? Will you forgive me?”

“It’s ok. I just felt betrayed and used. I probably would have done the same thing.” Reese hesitantly smiles.

“I’m so happy that you’ve forgiven me. I could really use a friend on this cruise ship because I am completely out of my element.” I grin back.

I fidget for a moment and then ask, “How come everyone is glaring at me?”

Isabella looks up from her coloring, “It’s ‘cause you’re with my brother, duh!”

“She’s right. Every girl wants to date Alex, again. Also, the Pack, generally, isn’t that welcoming to outsiders.” Reese fiddles with her spoon.