Chapter 8

It's Friday now. The bell just rang for lunch and I'm on my way to the cafeteria. I go through the line and head to the table. Since I'm the first one there, I wait for someone to to join me before I start eating. I don't like eating by myself. I'm just weird like that I guess. I see Peeta walking up to join me. I haven't really said much to Peeta since Wednesday when all that prom stuff happened. I mean I haven't been ignoring him, but I just try to avoid talking to him.

"Hey Kat," he says with a smile. Oh that smile melts my insides, but I try not to show any emotion. I don't want him to know I'm upset he didn't ask me. Prom is tomorrow and I still have no date.

"Hey Peeta," I say back to him. I really hope he doesn't try to start a conversation, because I really don't want to talk to him. But him being who he is continues talking, forcing me to make conversation with him. At least until someone else shows up. Which could take a while.

"So are you okay? You seem down the past few days," he says. Great! He noticed! (note the sarcasm) 

"Yeah I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?" I ask with a fake smile that he can probobly see through, but he pretends he doesn't notice.

"I don't know. So anyway, do you have a date to the prom yet?" he asks me. This is it! He's gonna ask me!!! 

"Nope," I say trying to hide my smile.

"Oh. Well are you planning on going anyway? If you don't have a date?" he asks. Oh. So he was just curious. Whatever. I don't want to go with him anyway.

"Um, yeah I guess," I say flattly. Just then, Jo, Annie, and Finnick show up. Couldn't you guys have come a little earlier?!?!? 

"Hey guys," Peeta says to them. They say hey back and then pick up a conversation that I have blocked out. By the time I finish eating I realize everyone is here.

"So girls I won't be able to make it to my house right away after school. My mom needs me to run some errands for her," Jo says. 

"Yeah I have a project to finish before I go over," says Glimmer.

"And I need to pick up some bobby pins for our hair for tomorrow," Clove says.

"Kat, you wanna go to the park after school while we wait on them? I've got nothing going on," Annie asks me. Well at least I'll have something to do.

"You don't want to be with me after school? I'm wounded Ann," Finnick pretends to cry with his hand over his heart to show he's hurt. Annie playfully hits him in the arm and he falls off his chair. "Now I'm emotionally AND physically wounded! I thought you loved me Ann!" he says, but you can see the smile threatening to cross his face. Annie helps him up and kisses his cheek.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Finny," she says giving him a hug. He hugs her back and the bell rings. "Meet at my car after school Katniss!" she calls to me as Finnick carries her on his back to their next class.