25 | вєнιи∂ єиєму ℓιиєѕ

I've been walking behind enemy lines
Now I'm fighting from the other side

Chapter 25 ~ Behind Enemy Lines

Trey Carter

I kept my arms folded against my chest for the entire drive to an unknown destination that Raven insisted we started from. I had even gone as far as letting her drive one of the family cars, a Porsche, in hopes that she'd be reckless enough to get pulled over so I could tell the police the truth about the group of stoners I found myself getting involved with. I was feeling resentful; after all, there was no point in trying to protect these people anymore. My love interest had become my enemy, and even though I had sworn not to send Owen to jail for the mere sake of Liam's, and coincidentally, Max's happiness, it wasn't like Max and I were on good terms, anyway.

Everything would be so much better for me if I didn't have to worry about these racist stoners.

But of course, by way of sheer luck, Raven was extra cautious with her driving, as if she knew I was secretly wishing for her demise.

I agreed to help her look for Owen, but it didn't mean I had to be happy about it. Owen had finally decided to up and leave, and for some reason, she couldn't accept that. She was too in love with him to see it—funny, I knew the feeling.

"I'd really appreciate it if you'd stop pouting," Raven said to break the silence after reaching her destination, which appeared to be Matthew's apartment complex from earlier today. I shuffled out of the car in a lazy, non-committed manner, choosing to ignore her attempts at getting me to care about Owen's absence.

"Why would Owen be here?" I questioned instead, not really caring about the answer. Owen had already expressed his distaste for Matthew's betrayal, so I doubted he would run away to stay with him–unless this was all a ruse, and I was just a dumb motherfucker.

The blonde shrugged. "Dunno, but it's a start." She kicked up her feet to head in the direction of Matthew's building as I reluctantly trailed behind.

"Wouldn't it be hilarious if you found out you were just wasting your time doing this, and that Owen is already halfway across the country?" I asked behind a bitter laugh.

She laughed along with me, except hers had more humor. "Sure, it'd be funny, but that's not what—" Her sentence fell short just as she stopped in her long strides to let her eyes fall on an all-too-familiar red truck. She examined it for a moment, her mouth falling open and shutting again like a fish out of water, then turned to me. "His truck's here."

I merely glanced at the truck before bringing my arms back to their previous folded position on my chest, and looked off into the distance.

"The fuck is he doing here," Raven continued to speak despite my obvious disinterest. She whipped around to scan the apartment buildings ahead of us, her eyes narrowing significantly as though she had just came to some miraculous conclusion. "He wouldn't visit Matthew without telling me."

I wanted to tell her that he would, in fact, visit Matthew without telling her because she wasn't all that important to him, but refrained from doing so by choosing to hum along to a tune in my head. "If it means anything, he said something about Matthew betraying him or whatever, so he ditched his car and stole one."