Chapter Twelve: Nova's POV

Start from the beginning

His attitude was really starting to grate on me. I felt my mother rub her hand across my back, telling me to calm down.

"Doc your attitude needs to start changing. He's Nova's mate, your future alpha, now show some respect and treat him properly." My father growled, his alpha authority coming out in full,which was a rare thing as he like to remain calm. He only really had to be like that when we were under attack or when he gave out punishments.

It gave me satisfaction to see Doc cower slightly as his alpha growled. "My apologies alpha. I didn't mean any disrespect." He grumbled apologetically before coming to kneel beside the bed, taking Zak's arm a little more roughly than he should've, before emptying the syringe into him.

It seemed to have an immediate affect as Zak stopped whimpering and instead began shifting uncomfortably in my arms. His eyes fluttered open and settled on Docs face. In shock he ripped his arm out of Docs grip, grabbing a fistful of my shirt and cowering into me whimpering. His body shook lightly and I knew he was crying. It broke my heart.

"Zak, sweetie, what's wrong?" My mother asked before I had a chance, stroking my mates hair softly.

"H-hurts." He gasped. Tears fell endlessly from his half closed eyes as he snivelled and whimpered in my arms.

"What hurts honey?" She cooed, looking at me in confusion. I arched a brow at her, opening my mouth to respond with several things that could be hurting him at that moment, but Zak cut me off.

"B-burns. Nova." He sobbed out. I sighed out of sadness as this eliminated all other options on what could've been hurting him.

"Alright baby, lets make it better, okay?" I cooed down at my trembling mate. "Mom could you grab me some towels and a bowl of cold water from the bathroom please." I said gently as I stood carefully before turning to place Zak back onto the bed. He refused to let go of my shirt once again so I knelt beside the bed awkwardly so he could leave his hand where it was. I stroked and petted his hair and face, trying to soothe him a little while I waited for my mom to grab the items I needed.

"Whats wrong with him Nova?" Father asked a little puzzled as he came to stand at the foot of my bed, giving us some room and not wanting to overcrowd Zak.

I sighed. I dreaded this conversation, which was why they didn't know yet. He is going to flip when I tell him. With a deep breath I began, "He was attacked by a wolf a couple months back. I almost lost him." My voice cracked at the end at the memories of his bloodied and beaten body that still haunted me. "Ever since he's healed the scars will burn and cause him pain sometimes. They usually do this when he's stressed or not feeling well." I explain.

He didn't have a chance to respond before my mother came rushing back. "Here you are darling. I added a bit of ice to help cool the water down some more. Need any help?" I thanked her before nodded yes and asked her to start wetting the towels while I took his cardigan and shirt off and managed to carefully wrestle him out of his jeans. I ensured his private areas were covered with a blanket, knowing he wouldn't appreciate being only in his boxers in front of my mom. He whimpered and whined the whole time but didn't move or relax his grip on my shirt. As my mother turned around to hand me the wet towel she gasped when she saw his scarred torso. "Oh my god! What happened to him!" She covered her mouth with her hands in shock, tears wetting her eyes.

A loud rumbling growl echoed around the room, "Who did this to him Nova," my father growled, clearly very pissed that someone had hurt my mate. Not only my mate but a member of his pack. It made me feel happy knowing they both cared so much for him even though they've only just met him.

"Derek." I said knowing the response I would get and my father didn't disappoint. He snarled and growled as he stormed out of he room with a look that would make the devil himself cower. My father didn't tolerate abuse or violence amongst pack members and it was actually a punishable offence. Disagreements were sorted out quickly but violence was a rare occurrence within the pack. He and his father had worked hard to create this atmosphere within our pack and it was something I would be continuing with.