The New Teacher

I blink awake, thoroughly confused. My vision is blurred, although that's because I haven't got my glasses on. Groping blindly for them, I notice that my necklace is gone as well. When I finally find them, I slip the brown tortoiseshell frames up my nose. My vision comes sharply into focus, and I see that Madam Pomphrey stands over me, looking concerned.
          "Madam Pomphrey!" I gasp, then flinch and drop my voice as it hurts my ears. "What happened? Why am I here? I had the most crazy dream . . . "
          "I'm afraid that is wasn't a dream Miss Potter. When you and your friends flew that car to Hogwarts, you crashed into the Whomping Willow. You got hurt, and passed out from loss of blood. It's a wonder you remained conscious that long; you hit your head as well," Madam Pomphrey reminds me.
          "Is that why my head hurts? Everything sounds twice as loud as it normally does," I say in a loud whisper.
          "You have a concussion, dear. Its nothing serious, but I can't heal it with magic. If youre feeling alright, why don't you go tell your brother and your friends that you're okay. They've been outside the hospital wing since five o'clock in the morning."
          "Oh," I say softly. "What about Fred? I remember his eyes, then nothing else."
          "Mr Weasley and his twin brought you here, but you collapsed halfway there."
          "Oh," I say again. 
          Fred brought me here. He really is sweet to do that, I think to myself, then shake my head to clear it, causing a flare of sharp pain. What am I thinking? I don't like Fred like that!
          Bidding Madam Pomphrey goodbye, I leave the hospital wing. But I haven't even taken two steps when I'm attacked by several hugs all at once. I recognise Hermione's bushy hair, my brother's eyes, and several redheads who turn out to be Ginny, George, Ron, and Fred.
          Hermione and Ginny are near tears, demanding over and over if I'm alright. Harry, Ron, George, and Fred join them, until the voices cause a flare of pain in my head, which still hurts a bit. I raise my hand for silence.
          "I'm okay, really, but please, be quieter, my head still hurts," I tell the six of them. They result to demanding if I'm okay, but this time in frantic whispers. "Enough, I promise I'm okay. Now let's go to breakfast."
          We all enter the Great Hall just in time for the mail to arrive. Just when we sit down, a ball of feathers plumments from the air and lands on Ron's head.
          "Errol!" he exclaims, snatching up the limp owl.
          His face drains of colour as he looks at the bright red envelope from his mother. Its a Howler. I know what they do, so I cover my ears, but someone grabs my arm and pulls me from the Great Hall as Ron tears open the Howler.
          It immediatly begins to shriek at him in his mother's voice. I cover my ears and the person pulls me into them. Recognizing the scent of smoke and something sweet, I bury my face into Fred's jacket and try to ignore the throbbing in my head. After several minutes, I look up and uncover my ears.
          "Is it done?" I whisper.
          Fred nods and hugs me close.
          "Are you sure you're alright, love?" he asks.
          I nod weakly into his chest. He kisses me on the top of my head, and I blush as he says, "Later, Rory."

~~~~~~~~~~

Herbology is our first class. And I'm stuck standing next to Draco. Not that I'm complaining. Hermione keeps giving me and him funny looks, which makes me blush. I only half listen to Professor Sprout's introduction to Mandrakes. Hermione answers most of her questions, as usual sounding as though she swallowed the textbook.
          "Rory?" a whisper sounds suddenly to my right.
          It's Draco. I turn my eyes to him. His own blue eyes are filled with concern as he peers at my over his plant pot. "Are you okay?"
          "My head hurts," I whisper back, glancing warily around to be sure no one sees the two of us. "But only when there's loud noises."
          He nods, still looking a bit concerned, and I blush a bit.
         "Everyone grab a pair of earmuffs," Professor Sprout says, finishing her !andrake introduction.
          I pick up a pair and snap them on. They block out all the noise. Then the Herbology teacher pulls a Madrake from it's pot. It honestly looks like an ugly baby. Its clearly screaming and bawling as loud as it can. A moment later, Neville slides to the floor, unconscious.
          Professor Sprout repots the Mandrake and has us take our earmuffs off, saying, "And that is why you must correctly wear your earmuffs. The cry of a Mandrake isn't fatal yet, but it'll knock you out for several hours. Now, earmuffs on. It's time to repot these Mandrakes!"
         I snap mine on, but feel hands press over them, making sure they're on correctly. I look up to see Draco with his hands pressed over my earmuffs. His usually pale cheeks blush and his bright blue eyes dart away, mumbling something that to me looks like, "I think its okay now . . . "
         I blush as well, looking down at my work.