Troll in the Dungeons

Draco Malfoy is obviously shocked when he sees that Harry, Ron and I are still at Hogwarts the next morning, tired but perfectly cheerful. In fact, meeting the three-headed dog seems like the perfect adventure, and we're keen to have another one. However, right now, Harry is filling Ron in on the package that Hagrid seemed to have moved from Gringotts to Hogwarts, and what could possibly need such protection. And frankly, they don't really care about that. They just want to find a way to get back at Malfoy.
          Such a way arrives in the mail a week later. In the form of mine and Harry's new broomsticks. A letter accompanies them, telling us not to open them at the table and when our first practice is. Harry hands the note to Ron as I squeal in delight.
          "A Nimbus Two Thousand!" Ron moans enviously. "I've never even touched one."
          We leave to go unwrap them, but find our way barred by Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle. Malfoy seizes Harry's package and inspects it.
          "That's a broomstick," he says in a matter-of-fact tone.
          "Thanks, genius. We've noticed," I say sarcastically. Malfoy looks at me, his expression softening just a bit.
          "Not just any broomstick," Ron boasts, "they're Nimbus Two Thousands. What did you say you've got at home, Malfoy, a Comet Two Sixty? Those look flashy, but they're not in the same league as the Nimbus."
          "Hmph. I don't think you could get a Nimbus if you saved up twig by twig, Weasley," Malfoy fires back. Just then, little Professor Flitwick appears at Malfoy's elbow.
          "Not arguing, I hope, students?" he squeaks.
          "The Potters have got broomsticks, Professor," Malfoy says quickly, and Professor Flitwick beams at Harry and I.
          "Yes, yes, Professor McGonagall told me about the special circumstances. And what model are they?"
          "Nimbus Two Thousands, sir," I say, fighting not to laugh at the look of horror on Malfoy's face. "And it's really thanks to Malfoy here that we've got them," I add. Harry, Ron and I run off, snorting with laughter.

          At quarter to seven that evening, Harry and I take our new broomsticks out for a test ride. And mine is amazing. It goes so fast it blows my hair back in a banner behind me. It turns at the lightest touch from my hand, or even leaning.
         "Hey, Potters, down here!"
        Oliver Wood has arrived. He's carrying a large wooden crate under his at!, and harry and I land next to him. I don't really listen as Wood explains Quidditch to Harry, as I already know the rules. 
          "This is a Bludger," Wood is saying. "Rory, as a Chaser, you've got to worry about these. Harry not so much."
          "Unless they crack my head open," says Harry. 
          "Don't worry, the Weasley's are more than a match for the Bludgers - I mean, they're like a pair of human Bludgers themselves," Wood replies.
          After finishing explaining, Wood has us up of our brooms, and makes me throw golf balls to specific places for Harry to catch, and to evaluate my aiming skills and my brother's catching skills. Afterwards, he gets out the Snitch for Harry and has him catch it over and over again while he has me try to score goals with him guarding. I make about 48 out of 50. 
          "Rory, that's just as good as Angelina and Katie, my two current Chasers, score," Wood tells me. "Have you met them?" 
          "Oh, thank you," I say. "And yes, I have met them. They came over to congratulate me when I got the spot on the team."
         "Good. You three will work beautifully as a team. This is the year that Gryffindor will have their name on the Quidditch cup, I just know it."

          Today is Halloween, and it's hard to believe that I've been at Hogwarts for two whole months. I woke up this morning to the delicious smell of baking pumpkin wafting through the corridors. And in Charms class, Professor Flitwick announces that we are ready to learn the levitation charm. He puts us into pairs, and Ron, much to my amusement, is partnered with Hermione. I, much to Ron and Harry's amusement and my embarrassment, am partnered with Draco Malfoy.
          "Now, don't forget the swish and flick movement!" squeaks Professor Flitwick. "And the words too, Wingardium Leviosa!"
          "Wingadrium Leviosa!" Ron shouts, swishing his wand.
          "You're saying it wrong," Hermione says. "It's Win-gar-dium Levi-o-sa, and make the 'gar' nice and long."
         "You do it then!" Ron snarls.
          Hermione rolls up the sleeves of her robes, flicks her wand, and says, "Wingardium Leviosa!"
          Their feather rises off the desk and hovers about four feet above their heads. Professor Flitwick claps, saying, "Oh, look, Miss Granger's done it!"
          Ron turns red and sinks in his seat. I decide to try it. I swish my wand and say, "Wingardium Leviosa!"
          Nothing happens. My feather stays firmly on the desk. Then Malfoy grabs my wrist gently. He says kindly, "You're doing the movement wrong. Swish and flick, see? You keep forgetting to flick."
          He moves my hand in the correct motion, then turns a pale shade of pink and he looks away. His hand lingers on my wrist just a bit longer than normal. My face turns red. and I give him a small smile. He returns it and blushes just a bit more.
          "Wingardium Leviosa!" I say, swishing and flicking my wand like he showed me. Our feather floats above our heads.
          "And Miss Potter has done it, too!" Flitwick cheers. I look shyly at Malfoy.
          "Thank you, Draco," I say, using his first name. But then I curse myself. Do I fancy him? Oh, Rory, honestly! Just go for Fred, at least you know he's nice.
          He seems as shocked as I am to address him as 'Draco' rather than 'Malfoy'.
          "Um . . . no problem, Rory," he says. My heart skips a beat. He called me Rory.