thirteen

long time no see!

"just take the test, zee," louis urged, reaching over and gently squeezing zayn's thigh. zayn just stared at the little box, heart pounding against his chest.

"it's too early," zayn muttered weakly, biting his chapped lips and sighing. "we just started going out." louis frowns and pulls zayn into a hug. zayn just buries his face into the crook of louis' neck, thinking of louis' protruding stomach and how he and harry had been going out just as long as he and zayn had.

"wake up and smell the vomit, bud," louis teased, but to no avail. zayn doesn't even crack a smile as louis frowned. "zayn, babes, c'mon. liam is like a giant teddy bear."

"false!" zayn huffed, sitting up straight and throwing the box with the pregnancy test down on the carpet. he kicked it across the room, and it hit the wall before falling to the ground with a dull thud. louis just looked at him for a second.

"what-" louis sighed. "what was the purpose of that?"

"harry is a teddy bear!" zayn argued, ignoring louis completely. "he caters to you no matter what! he loves you! he watches drag queens with you even though i see him rolling his eyes all the time!"

"he what?!" louis shrieked.

"liam's not like that," zayn sighed, continuing to ignore louis. "he's more abrasive, you know?"

"did he lie about liking phi phi too?" louis asked with his hands on his cheeks. "where do the lies end?"

"i thought he liked jiggly caliente?"

"no one likes jiggly caliente! god, you're the one who binge watched the entirety of season four in one night!"

"you're the one who made me!" zayn sighed. "that's not the point. the point is, even if i am-" he swallowed thickly. "pregnant, he can't know. i don't think it will go over well."

"you can't hide it from him!" louis exclaimed. "do you remember what happened to willam when he hid something from rupaul?!"

"you need to stop the rupaul references."

"he's coming back tonight, yeah?" zayn nodded. "tell him tonight! he'll be in a good mood! there's still a chance you're not pregnant, zee. you're acting like it's positive."

"with my luck it will be," zayn mumbled, standing up and picking up the pregnancy test. he looks up at louis. "were you as scared as i am?"

louis smiled warmly. "petrified," he nodded.

"but you're okay now?"

"i'm more than okay. i'm happy."

zayn gulped, his shaky hands gripping the test. harry walked in from the washroom in only some basketball shorts, drying his hair off with a towel. "how did you feel when louis told you he was pregnant?"

harry raised his eyebrows. "um. terrified," he admitted, letting out a little laugh. "absolutely terrified. obviously."

zayn bit his lip. "you seemed excited?"

"that was an act. i didn't want to make lou even more scared."

"this day is full of exposing lies!" louis cried out.

"why do you ask?" harry asked, and louis swore that everyone was pointedly ignoring him. zayn sighed, holding up the pregnancy test bravely. harry raised his eyebrows. "oh, my."

"what am i gonna do?" zayn whimpered, voice breaking. louis frowned, getting up from the sofa and bringing zayn into another hug. zayn sighed and wrapped his arms around louis' waist, shaking his head slightly.

"just take the test," louis said quietly, giving zayn a squeeze. "don't get all worked up, okay? just take the test, we'll see the results and go from there."

zayn nodded, took a deep breath, and walked to the bathroom to take the test. after waiting the five minutes he slowly and shakily picked up the test.

the little plus sign made him cover his mouth with his hand, slide down the wall to the floor, and cry.

-

"you can't tell him before he starts!" louis exclaimed as they entered liam's dressing room, waiting for him to come back from training. harry wasn't far behind, furrowing his eyebrows at the two's bizarre conversations. once you hear two small boys discuss using ketchup as lube, you're scarred for life.

"i-i don't know when i'm going to tell him, lou," zayn sighed. "can you please just not talk about it? i'm already stressed enough."

louis frowned. "zee, c'mon."

liam walked in at that moment, the first time he had seen zayn since he left. "hello, lads!" he greeted as zayn stood up and ran at him, attacking him in a hug.

"god, i've missed you," liam mumbled into zayn's shoulder. zayn smiled to himself, his arms wrapped around liam's waist.

"i've missed you too," zayn replied softly, leaning back and letting liam peck his forehead.

"liam, you're on," his agent poked his head into the room and raised his eyebrows at liam. liam frowned and turned back to zayn.

"'ve got to go," liam sighed, pecking zayn's lips before turning around and walking out of the room.

"i'm pregnant!" zayn blurted out. liam turned around, his face pale and eyes wide.

"w-what?" he asked. the agent came back and grabbed liam by the arm, dragging him away.

"let's go!" the agent said, dragging liam out to the crowd.