Ham and Cheese

Rachel took the earliest flight possible back to Manila.

Her eyes were already puffed red from crying. Yes, she was able to see Raymond. No, she barely even talked to him. She thought she'd be overwhelmed with anger so she was preparing herself to throw a punch, but all she felt was sorrow.

Raymond cried when he saw her too. But when she asked if he could go back to Manila with her, he refused. It was like he didn't even want to meet his own son. So Rachel settled with slapping him and leaving, parting with, "At least we both know I tried. I tried for Adam. And if he asks what happened, I'll tell him the truth."

Rachel kept herself together, until she received the godforsaken call from Meng.

Once she arrived, she hailed a taxi and directed it to the hospital where Meng and RJ brought Adam.

She found Meng on a hallway, sitting on the floor with her head propped on her hands. Once she heard the sound of footsteps she looked up, and stood when she saw Rachel.

"Rach..."

"Si Adam?"

"Nasa loob. He's crying for you but we were able to calm him down." The Rachel noticed the uneasiness on her face. "Si Jay? Bakit di mo kasama?"

"RJ's getting ready for an operation," Meng said softly. "Adam needed his donation, and luckily they match. Since urgent, sabi ng doctor they have to perform an operation on him."

"Puntahan mo na siya, ako na bahala kay Adam."

Meng nodded and clasped the other girl's hands, squeezing it softly, and then running towards the doctor's office.

Meng felt worried. They were able to rush Adam to the hospital after they found him shivering and almost delirious. RJ was even more worried than she was, and almost puched anyone who got in his way. Fortunately, Meng was able to calm him down and they were able to talk to the doctor properly.

Meng puffed out a breath as she reached the doctor's office, not hesitating to open the room and go in. The sight of a shirtless RJ welcomed her that she immediately turned back, feeling her ears heat up. "Uh, sorry, I didn't know you were changing."

She heard RJ chuckle lightly. "It's alright. It's not like you haven't seen it before."

Case in point. Meng turned around to face him, and noticed he was taking his sweet time putting on the hospital gown.

"Nakukuha mo pa talagang humarot 'no?"

"Huh?" His voice was muffled through the cloth. "I don't know what you're talking about."

She rolled her eyes and helped him pull the gown through, unsurprised when she met his eyes. "Rachel came. Siya nakabantay kay Adam ngayon."

RJ just nodded. Meng studied his face, her lips quirking. Maybe he really didn't mean to take his time. He was buying time. "You're scared, aren't you?"

"Of what?" He puffed his chest out, as if that makes him look braver. "Ha-ha Meng you're kidding."

She pinched his cheeks and tugged at it, making a very weird face. "Yes you are. You're afraid because you're worried about Adam. You're also afraid because it's your first time undergoing operation, and the doctor already probably told you about the huge needle they'll use to inject anasthesia."

"They will?" He paled visibly, and then pouted when he noticed that Meng was just teasing him. "Not very manly, isn't it?"

"I don't need you to be manly. I need you to be you." Meng placed her hands on his shoulders, smiling. "Just think that you're doing this for Adam. A child needs his tatay to save the day, and there's absolutely nothing more manly than that for me."