Black Bitter Olives

It was a brewing storm inside RJ's car.

Meng refused to speak nor look at him, because she was still trying to sort out her feelings. She couldn't help it; she was a writer, so when her imagination started running wild, it was too late to stop it. She didn't want to start randomly accusing RJ when they hadn't even talked about anything.

RJ, on the other hand, was clenching his jaw so hard it was a wonder how it hadn't locked.

"So you started seeing him now?" He started, pulling the car to a stop when the stop light turned red. "After mong iwasan, here you go, willingly going to him?"

"In case you didn't hear, I broke up with him properly and cleared out any misunderstanding left. I asked him to stop trying to see me. What are you so angry about?" Meng tiredly explained. She was annoyed too, but saying all those to Denver wore her out. And here goes round two.

"Why didn't you tell me you were meeting with him?"

"Do I have to tell you everything I do? Ikaw nga hindi mo sinasabi sa'kin kung anong pinagkakaabalahan mo tuwing hindi tayo magkasama, nagtatanong ba ko?"

RJ was about to answer, but the stoplight already turned green and he had to start driving.

He was actually angry because he didn't expect to see Meng with her ex-boyfriend inside that coffee shop. It didn't help that the girl wasn't replying to any of his texts that morning as well. Although a part of him did understand, he was worried that Denver might hurt her or something.

"Meng," he glanced over at her, who was still resolutely looking ahead. "I'm sorry. I was just worried about you."

"Okay."

Okay?

RJ sighed and tugged at his ear. She said 'okay', but there was still tension in the air that was so palpable he could almost touch it. "Are you okay?"

"Fine," was her curt reply.

RJ waited, but she didn't elaborate. "Are you sure?"

"Wag mo kong kulitin, please. I'll talk to you once I've sorted myself out. But not right now."

"Okay," he whispered.

What if she really didn't want to say those things to Denver? What if she's thinking of going back to that catfish? What if she's doubting her decision to go with RJ?

RJ sucked in breath. He didn't expect that thought to hurt a lot.

"Do you... maybe... want to go eat somewhere? For dinner?"

Meng took awhile to answer. She exhaled, breathing slowly. "Okay. We need to talk about something else too."

Something else? Shit.

***

After that stormy tension inside the car, it was the awkwardness in front of the dining table that they had to deal with. They were in a booth far away from the other diners, providing just enough privacy. They already ordered but Meng hasn't even touched her food. RJ was a bit afraid to start the conversation, since Meng had that comprehensive look on her face, like she was thinking about something and was currently out of reach. She felt so distant. Cold. And hot. Ahh, what's wrong with you, RJ?!

"Meng, do you--"

"Are you planning on making me your mistress?"

"What?"

He almost spewed out the water he was planning to drink. He stared at Meng with wide, confused eyes. "What are you talking about?"

Meng shut her eyes close and slowly exhaled. She might start crying now if she won't be able to control herself. "Pat saw you, awhile ago. At the mall."