Onslaught of Mushrooms

By the time RJ had arrived, Meng already cleared out her living room. Four days' worth of litter now junked in the trash bag, throw pillows neatly arranged, table all polished. She even prepared a movie should he decide to stay, and Meng was still deliberating whether to ask him to or just let him go on his way when the unit bell rang. Apparently, thinking time was over and she now needed to decide.

      When she pulled the door open, RJ was carrying three boxes of pizza plus a clear plastic bag with lock&lock's inside. His hair was messed up, like the wind ran its fingers through it, and he was biting a single-stemmed rose between his lips and that charming grin of his.

She ran a hand through her hair and let him in, feeling strangely nervous and excited at the same time.

"You're earlier than expected."

RJ looked around with a teasing grin. "And you cleaned up."

"What are you talking about? Palagi kaya akong naglilinis."

"Bakit labas sa ilong?"

Meng pinked, a pissed look alighting her face. "Are you done teasing me? Sige, layas na. Bye."

"Joke lang, joke lang." RJ chuckled. He raised the boxes a bit. "I brought your pizza, but I brought rice too. It's not healthy to eat pizza 24/7."

She helped him set the food on the china table, watching as he uncovered the tupperwares one by one. There was newly cooked rice, adobo, chopsuey, and even mushroom soup. She blinked at them, and then back at RJ. "Did you prepare all these?"

"No, my lola did. Pinadala niya kanina kaso naisip ko masyadong marami kung mag-isa lang ako na kakain," he grinned. "Tsaka may naalala akong hindi marunong magluto na malamang oorder ng tatlong box ng pizza tapos para sa buong linggo niya na 'yun."

"Go away."

"Eat," he pushed the tupperware towards her and even offered utensils, which Meng gladly took. "Bakit pala ang tagal mo tumawag?"

"Why? May time limit ba? Magpapalit ka na ba ng number anytime soon?"

"No," she felt him watching her. "Sinadya mo siguro yun, 'no? Para paghintayin ako?"

"Absolutely not!" Meng paused from eating. "I was just doubtful."

"Doubtful of what?"

"Of you."

"Why?" His gaze turned serious that Meng felt it to her toes. "Do you think you can't trust me?"

"I just think it's all too soon. To be comfortable like this with each other, I mean. We practically don't know anything about each other."

"So? Madali naman yun. Let's play a game."

"Don't tell me we're playing 20 questions."

"Bakit? May something ka ba against sa larong 'yun?"

"Wala naman," Meng swallowed. "I just think it's too overused."

"Fine, we'll play another game."

Meng shrugged at tugged the string at one of the pizza boxes, salivating at the scent when she finally opened it. "Dayum."

"Do you like our pizzas that much?" RJ asked in amusement.

"Hm-hm." And I like your delivery boys too. Charot.

"Ganito na lang yung laro natin. I'll say a word, then you say whatever comes first in your mind, okay? Tapos we'll go from there."

Meng bit on the pizza and nodded. "Game."