Chapter 3: Tantrums

Charlie was running along with April which was way faster than Matteusz. Matteusz had always outrun Charlie before, when they exercised. Apparently Miss Quill was experiencing extreme pain. Matteusz didn't understand how Charlie could be kind to the woman who antagonized him at every chance she got but that was also the reason he loved Charlie because no one sure as hell could be that kind in this day. Matteusz was breathing hard by the time they reached Charlie's house. He hadn't had any breakfast yet. They opened the door with Charlie's key and rushed in to see Quill standing in the kitchen, drinking orange juice from a carton like nothing had happened.

"Are you alright? Where do you feel pain? Shall I try calling the Doctor again?" Charlie asked in one breath.

Quill looked at them. "Why?" she asked.

"Didn't you wail into the phone that you were experiencing great pain?" Charlie asked.

"Oh, right. That was 5 minutes ago. Little thing has its bloody tantrums and it's not even out of my womb yet", Quill said.

Charlie sighed in relief and so did Matteusz and April.

"What's it right now for you lovebirds? Can we finally have the house to ourselves or is the Pole still staying?" Quill asked.

"His name is Matteusz and he'll stay here as long as I'm here. You are not to question it." Charlie replied in a serious tone.

"Whatever", Quill retorted, took a look at April, and left the kitchen moving towards her bedroom.

"Motherhood hasn't changed her", April commented.

Charlie nodded in agreement. They stood there for a few seconds before Matteusz went to the fridge and took out some eggs to make scrambled eggs with veggies and meat. April and Charlie headed to the living area and plopped on the sofa.

"Did you notice how Matteusz was catching up with us on the way?" April asked, still a bit surprised with her new body and all the strength.

Charlie nodded. He was giving small responses to her questions, April noticed.

"How are things with Matteusz?" she enquired.

"We're good", Charlie said in a monotone.

April felt sorry for Charlie. Poor guy had gone through so much since his time on earth. She remembered his determination when he had said he wouldn't hurt a friend that day when she was decorating for prom and got attacked by the Shadowkin. She wanted to apologize for asking Charlie to shoot her but she knew that he knew that. He was her best friend right now, besides her mum.

"Charlie, April, you want breakfast?" Matteusz asked from the kitchen.

"We already ate at my house!" April replied.

"Have you spoken to Tanya?" Charlie asked April.

"Yeah", April responded.

"How is she?"

"She is holding up quite well. Her aunt is with her and her brothers. I don't know how she's going to explain all this", April sounded worried.

Charlie didn't know what to say. Tanya hardly looked at him when they parted ways the day before.

"How is Ram doing?" Charlie asked.

April looked down at the floor. "He hasn't answered my calls", she said, dejected.

Charlie thought he must be the luckiest person in the world. Not everyone was like Matteusz. No one he knew was like Matteusz. He wondered if Matteusz felt the same. He doubted that. But he was lucky to have him near, living and breathing.

Matteusz came to the living room with a plate in hand. He sat next to Charlie. "What will you do about your appearance, April?" he asked.

April made a funny face which was supposed to be exclaiming. "Oh I forgot to tell you. Those weird people who took my body; you know, the ones who said they were employed by the Governors, came to my house last night after our video call. They said they'll have a 'perception altering device' for me as soon as possible. They said I can seem like my old self again to whoever looks at me", she said.

"Be very careful with those people. The headmistress was nowhere to be seen after the war", Charlie said. Matteusz nodded.

They'd attempted calling the Doctor for help after the war. He was unreliable like Quill always said because he didn't answer.

"What do you want to do today?" Matteusz asked April.

"I don't know", April said.

Matteusz wasn't feeling the best but he wanted to make her feel somewhat normal. "I have an idea. I do not know if you will like it."

"What is it?" April asked.

"Do you like makeovers?" Matteusz asked April.

"Yes?" April answered, not sure of herself.

There was silence for a few moments. Charlie looked up at them, turning his gaze from the empty TV screen. Matteusz and April were staring at him with grinning faces.

"What?" Charlie asked, clueless.