Chapter 17 - Trust

My heart beats rapidly as I look around to see if anyone had seen my panic attack when I got the message. I see a few customers as they browse the store, their eyes trained on what they’re shopping before. I turn to see my coworkers at the counter, scanning items and taking off of security tags.

I look back down at my phone, trying to even out my breathing so that I won’t pass out. Shakily, I begin to type my reply.

Meet me at Chick-Fil-A at 9:30. I’m at work.

I try not to freak out when I hit the send button, because I know that this little meeting is not going to be anywhere similar to a date. This will be terrible.

Why did I choose Chick-Fil-A? Well, because if we meet at my apartment or his apartment, there is more of a chance for a yelling, heated argument compared to a quiet argument if we are in a public place. Plus, if we go to my apartment, then there is always the chance of Brady and Angela being there and that cannot happen. They would choose sides and that could either tear them apart or annoy the hell out of me and Skylar. Chick-Fil-A is just outside of the mall that I work at and closes at 11 so we can both meet there easily and have time to talk.

I shove my phone back in my pocket and try to focus on doing my job. I walk to the nearest shelf and straighten the stacks of shirts and pants, refolding the ones that customers must have picked up. I make sure the shelf looks neat and tidy before I walk to the next one, doing the same.

I try to get my mind off of anything that has to do with the upcoming argument between Skylar and me because I know it is going to happen. My mind keeps coming up with the worst scenarios of how this meet up could go down. I hope that none of the O2L fans are there because they will start loads of rumors if they see me there since they believe that there is a possibility for me and Kian to be back together. Thankfully, though, I am not dating a member of One Direction because Directioners are ten times worse when it comes to starting rumors and drama. Although I can’t say that I would complain about it if I were actually dating a member of One Direction…

My mind temporarily wanders to the thought of dating Harry Styles before I laugh at my imagination, wishing it were real. Quickly, my mind wanders back to concocting scenarios where Skylar is enraged, yelling at me in front of a whole audience.

I walk to the next shelf, near the front of the store and I begin to fold some more items, placing them strategically on the shelves. I’ve only worked here for a few days, but already I enjoy the job. I get along quite well with my Co-Workers too, which is a major plus. An even bigger plus is the employee discount I get for the store.

I see a girl walk in alone, looking lost, so I walk up to her.

“Hey! Anything I can help you with?” I ask her, smiling brightly so that she doesn’t feel intimidated. I have seen so many people not go to stores because they’re scared of them. Why? Who knows, they just are.

“Um, no thanks.” She smiles back at me, shaking her head.

“Well, let me know if you need anything,” I tell her, smiling again before returning to my previous task. I walk to the table nearest the front of the store and I begin to fold the mess that is there. The shelves and tables near the front are always the messiest, mostly because they are near the front and always newer or sale items, depending on the promotion.

I don’t mind the messiness though, mostly because I find folding the shirts and tights therapeutic for the time being. It also slightly helps me keep my mind off of Skylar and the argument that is to come.

Why do I know that there will be an argument? Because if I were in his position, I would probably be pissed off, whether I knew what was going on or not. I would be furious actually. Although I don’t believe that Skylar gets jealous as easily as I do, he does get Jealous. And he isn’t afraid to say what’s on his mind. So when he knows the truth, that I indeed did go there to see Kian, he will blow up. Even when I tell him that I was just there to comfort Kian as a friend, Skylar still won’t be too pleased. I just can’t see me getting through tonight without an argument, big or small. The only way that would happen is if Skylar doesn’t show up at all.