False Confession

Rachel is trying to figure out how she wants to handle the interrogation as she's headed back towards the station. I can bring them in, play one against the other, see how things play out. Maybe I should work on the weakest one first. Which one would that be? She asks, picturing each one in her mind. I bet the guys can help me with that. Yeah, that's what I'll do, I'll ask Jerry see what he thinks. She concludes, reaching for her phone.

"Talk about ESP," she laughs, scooping up the ringing device.

"What's up, Jerry," she asks. Putting it on speaker, she lays it on the console between the two seats.

"Jeff Potter just came in and confessed to the whole Jenkin's thing."

"Wait, wait run that by me again," she says, pulling to the side of the road.

"Jeff Potter came in saying he's the one who terrorized the Jenkins."

"He just came in and volunteered this information?"

"Yes, he even gave a detailed description of the doll, the cross, and the rock. Things we didn't release to the press."

"Keep him on ice until I get there," she says, quickly pulling out on the highway.

***

"I can't get a damn thing done with all of these blasted distractions," Mr. Jones spat, wiping his forehead with his sleeve, he grabs the phone out of his pocket.

"Yeah, what is it."

"Your problem is solved, boss?"

"What problem are you talking about, Mike?"

"I'm talking about the investigation."

"How did you take care of it?" he asks. Feeling faint, he leans against the rusty tractor.

"I convinced Jeff to confess to the whole thing."

"Why would he be willing to confess to something he didn't do?"

"Because he doesn't want me to tell the police what he really did."

"So how does that fix my problem?"

"The cops will stop asking questions now they have their man."

"What about the real prankster?"

"I don't think he'll be causing you any more problems," he smiles, watching his pigs devour the last of the human remains.

***

"Sharon, Sharon, I need you to process this for me as soon as possible," Rachel blurts out, running into the lab.

"It's nice to see you again too, Sergeant."

"Oh sorry, hi Sharon, how are you?"

"I'm fine, thank you," Sharon laughs, taking the note from her hand.

"What do you want me to do with it?" she asks, eyeing the decomposing paper.

"I want you to dust it for fingerprints and to see if the writing matches what we have on file."

"Matches whose writing, Sergeant?"

"Jack Abbot's."

"I'll see what I can do, but with the poor condition this paper is in, I'm not giving you any guarantees."

"Just do the best you can and please make it quick," she says, rushing out of the door. She'd just stepped off the elevator when she sees Jerry waddling towards her.

"Here's his confession, Sergeant," the detective says, handing her a piece of paper. She quickly scans through it.

"Did he say why he did all those terrible things?"