Never Safe

Greg pulls up to see a patrol car sitting in the driveway. What's happened now? he asks, nervously looking around. Getting closer he realizes that his entire front yard is filled with police officers. This massive presence terrifies Greg even more. Skidding to a stop at the edge of the yard, he runs to the first officer he sees.

"What happened? Where's my wife and kids? Are they alright," he anxiously blurts out looking around. Seeing an ambulance parked alongside the house, Greg drops to his knees.

"Oh my god, something did happen to them. Where are they? What's happened? I've got to go see them," Greg blubbers through his tears.

"You need to calm down, sir." The officer orders, grabbing a hold of the trembling man's shoulders.

"How can I be calm when my wife and kids are hurt?" he yells.

"No one is hurt, sir. Your wife is really shaken up, but other than that she's fine."

"What about my kids? Are Lilly and Adam alright?"

"Your kids are fine too."

"Where are they? I've got to go see them."

"There in the house, sir but I..." Pushing the officer away, Greg sprints across the yard. Another officer tries to stop him, Greg pushes him away too.

"Oh Abby, are you alright," he breathlessly asks, plopping down beside her.

"He grabbed the baby out of his crib," she bawls, holding the child closer.

"He could've killed them, Greg. He could have killed our babies," she cries.

"It's alright, everything is going to be alright, now," he soothing replies, wrapping his arms around his trembling wife.

"They could be dead, dead," she sobs in his arms. Looking up, he sees several officers talking in the corner.

"Why don't you guys go out and find the moron who keeps terrorizing my family instead of standing around with your hands in your pockets!" Greg suggests.

"You need to calm down, sir," Rachel says, walking towards him.

"Calm down? How can I be calm? A maniac came into the house and grabbed my baby from his room and you have the nerve to tell me to calm down!" he screams, jumping off of the couch. Seeing the commotion, her two sidekicks run up beside her.

"I got this," she says, waving them away.

"I understand you're upset, sir but..."

"You better believe I'm upset! Where was your fancy watchman when all of this was going on, huh?"

"We're looking into that now, sir."

"I bet you are. Some police force you are. Allowing intruders to come into my home in broad daylight under your watchful eye. No wonder your damn crime rate is so high," he grumbles, plopping back down on the couch.

"Lilly gave us a good description of the perp. She said he was a large guy dressed in a cop's uniform and that he has brown hair and brown eyes," Rachel quickly informs him.

"I'm the only one in the precinct that fits that description and I know it wasn't me," Jerry says, stepping up beside her again.

"No daddy it wasn't him. This guy was older, and a lot uglier," Lilly solemnly says, walking into the room.

"Could it have been your rent a cop? The one who was supposed to be watching the house?"

"No, he's an older gentleman with gray hair," Rachel says.