Chapter Three - Cornered

*Sydney's POV*

I think the clock was broken. The hands were moving to slow for time to actually pass. The seventy-five minute period felt like it had taken the whole day!

At least Liz was there on my right hand side to discreetly pass notes under the teacher's all seeing gaze. It was too quiet in the room to whisper - the only noise the squeaking of markers on the whiteboard. I turned to her as I got a quiet nudge.

The note read in my friends' writing. "So what's the deal with you and the football captain? It's circulating during cheer leading. As soon as everyone has the story there - it'll be all over the school."

I snatched it and scribbled quickly, "Does Head Whore know?" I dared to glance at Shelly, who sat in the back row, sharing a seat with her boyfriend. I passed it back to Liz, watching Shelly carefully. I would be a dead woman if she found out.

I heard the note being passed back to me. "Not yet. All the cheerleaders are too scared to tell her."

"She's such a bitch. It totally looks like foreplay in that corner back there."

"LOL. True. But when she finds out your in a load of trouble."

"I'm not scared of her. What's the worst thing she can do to me? She can keep sucking dicks behind bleachers and leave us the Hell alone."

Liz's writing got all loopy and curvy. "You said US. Is it official?"

"Well, he kissed me at roller skating a few nights ago."

Liz read it and squealed with excitement. Her eyes widened and she clapped a hand over her mouth, crumpling the note in her hand and shoving it into her purse.

The teacher was at her side in a heartbeat. He held out his hand and said in his slow, monotone drawl. "I'll be taking that Ms. Fairbanks."

Liz snuck a glance at me, her eyes wide and scared. She held out the note with shaking hands and the teacher took it and walked to the front of the room. The entire class had their eyes on Liz and I.

I set my jaw square and put my feet flat on the floor. Shelly sat up and her ears literally pricked with interest.

The teacher began to read our note, the class growing louder and louder with disbelief around us. Liz shrank in her seat, hiding her head. I felt my face flush with embarrassment, but I didn't hide my face or shake with fear. I had no reason too.

Shelly in the back corner grew more and more furious as the teachers slow drawl read my note to Liz out loud. I didn't understand it. She looked incredibly happy with her boy toy in the back corner. Why would she want Cameron? I watched her teeth bare the longer the note went on. At the comment about sucking dicks behind the bleachers - she lost all cool and threw - literally threw - a desk across the room.

"You're such a whore Shelly!" Someone screamed, "Is that where you always disappear too during the games? When you aren't doing the splits to show off your 'flexibility'?"

The classroom erupted into laughter and stayed that way, loud and gossipy until the bell rang. I dove out the door and ran to my locker, feeling Shelly's eyes on my back the whole time.

....

After volleyball practice, I decided to walk home. I could have had my Mom or even Cameron's mom pick me up and drive me home - but I decided to relax in the cool evening.

I should have taken the ride.

It occurred to me probably about halfway home, that the pair of footsteps behind me were growing closer quicker than I was comfortable with. I picked up my pace, nervously licking my lips and holding my bags closer to my body. Why hadn't I changed out of my volleyball uniform? It was skin tight and shiny with sweat. I pulled my backpack straps tighter, so it wouldn't bounce if I had to run.