Chapter Two-So Close, Yet So Far Away

*Mitch's POV*

It's been hard. For the pack. For us. We hung around in Ohio for a little. But Rachel had us move from the mansion as soo as the pup was able. Too many memories there I guess. Painful one's.

We traveled down the east coast, spreading word of Mike's defeat and converting pack to our cause. Rookie told us that apparently there was another guy like Mike. A collector. He didn't know anything else. We tracked him to North Carolina but then the trail went cold. Icy.

Rachel's parents set us up and we settled in Marion, in McDowell county. I don't know why we set up in North Carolina. I guess because it made Rachel feel closer to Cam. Apparently he was from North Carolina. Rachel and Cayenne tried to track down his parents to tell them what happened, but they kept hitting dead ends.

Rookie, Jennifer, and Amber actually fit in quite well with the pack. We couldn't really hold helping Mike against him. And we all kinda treated Amber nicely because Rachel wasn't the only one who had lost a mate that night. Despite Amber trying to kill Olympia and little baby Clara, she and olympia became friends. Unlikely but true.

Cayenne, Rachel, Jack, Rookie, Jennifer, and I joined the highschool near our new house. Jack, and I started younger so we could graduate together. Rookie, Jack, and I joined the football team. Now we are Varsity and getting ready for our next game in two days. If we win this one we get to go the State Championship game. I was 1st string quarterback and Jack was our star runningback, Rookie was our middle linebacker. Our highschool had a good team before but having three genetically huge shifters on your team helps.

Rachel and Jennifer joined the cheerleading squad. Cayenne...well...Cayenne just was. No more, no less. Most of the time she kept to herself.

I stepped on something and looked down and it was the sports section of a newspaper. I crouched down and started to read. The front page headline was about some team in Buncombe County. Wich is one over. Hmm?

The Centurions of Hillcrest highscool have been having an extraordinary season. Undefeated and unchallenged. They play against the Woodmont Wildcats tomorrow. Their success has been largely due to their Prodigy Linebacker Cameron Robinson. He has set a new record for sacks in the state with 16 sacks during the regular season. But the Centurions aren't the only Star Team this season. The Southside Spartans of Marion have also had a great season. Jack Grahm, their runningback, has achieved an amazing 1480 rushing yards in the the past two years.

Elijah Robinson of the Spartans is the second best linebacker following Cameron. People have spectulated that they are related do to each's their natural talent. Speaking of relatives Mitch Grahm twin of Jack Grahm, is the quarterback for the Spartans, has had a great two years also with 645 passing yards and 36 Passing Touch Downs. If these two teams making it to the State Championship, it will be a game to watch.

Hmm. I like being in the papers. But who was this Cameron Robinson? Same last name as Rookie. Interesting. Rachel and Cayenne should read this....

*Cayenne's POV*

Old habits die hard. I still did border patrols, often with my little friend Clara, who still spent the majority of her time in wolf form. She was the sweetest little thing, always bouncing around and babbling like a little brook about that weird beetle she had seen that morning or a noise she had heard in the middle of the night.

Mitch hollered out of a window, trying to get my attention. "Cayenne! Get your ass through this window! I gotta show you somethiing!"

I hollered back. "Warn me when I have to censor you!"

"Just get up here! Quickly! I think you will be interested!"

I put my hand on Clara's wolfy head, our inter-species gesture for her to go back to Mom. She went happily after a quick goodbye, her tiny plume of a tail held gaily over her back.

Mitch hollered. "Anytime..."

I snarled and shifted into the grey wolf, loped back about twenty feet, then sprinted straight at the side of the house. When I was six feet away from tasting brick wall I gathered my feet under me and jumped straight through a second story window as easily as taking a step up.

Mitch nodded in my general direction as I shifted back into human form. "You're filling out well. Still a little bony for my taste, but Jack thinks its cute."

I rolled my eyes. "Thanks Mitch."

"No problemo, chica."

I dismissed him with a wave of my hand. "You wanted to show me something?"

Rachel walked thorugh the door in all her spoiled brat glory. I still held a grudge against her, just enough to make those few moments when we were alone in a room uncomfortable. Her hair was swept back from the wind, no doubt exposed to the open roof of her Corvette just moments before. "Whats wrong Mitch?"

Mitch held up the sports section of a local newspaper. "Look at this." He pointed to a name he had circled with red pen. Cameron Robinson. I felt my heart throb. "Same last name as the Rookie," he said quietly.

Rachel shrugged. "They did look an awful lot alike."

I snarled at her in disdain. "Cameron had no siblings."

"That he knew of." She growled, pushing her face into mine. "You forget you arent the only one who knew him."

I countered her verbal attack with one of my own. "Ah - you knew him - but how well do you remember him?" I smirked, watching her pale. "The whole school knows about you and Elijah. Honestly? The locker room? It echoes in there. Very poor choice. The girls gym class heard everything." I moaned in flase exstacy, just to taunt her.

I was suddenly on the floor with a silver wolf at my throat. I jabbed at its eyes and when it recoiled, I pushed the animal off. "Don't you dare threaten me." I had only said it to make her mad. Rookie was obviously with Jennifer. Rachel and Mitch had grown close though. He could make her laugh.

She shifted back. "He's dead Cayenne. I've moved on. There's no way that's him and even if it was - I'm sure he's moved on as well."

I growled and dismissed her, turning my back to her and going for the window. Her tone took on the command of the Alpha. "You will not go after him. I forbid it."

I fought her command until I stood on the edge of the bay windowsill. She snarled, "Cayenne. If you go after him I swear to God I will kill you."

I laughed. "You would THANK me." I gave in to her command and walked into the house, sitting in the front room with a book until the sun went down. Then I returned to the room I shared with Jack. The night was hot for September - and the window was wide open, blowing a cool breeze into the room that I relished in. It was like a feather's caress, but all over my body, all at the same time.

Jack lay on the bed, face down, book in hand. He had established a variation of symbols that let me read his body language more clearly. Face down was uncomfortable. Book meant he had to tell me something. He heard me breathe and he scrathed his opposite shoulder. That one was new. Teasing, maybe? He looked up and smiled. "Remember two nights ago you wore those really short shorts to bed?"

I nodded. I liked my Hello Kitty pajamas. "What about them?"

He wriggled out of his sweatpants and took off his shirt, leaving him only in his boxers. He smiled. "Payback time." 

I smirked. "Oh - so you want to play that game?" He smiled in response and I grabbed something from my underwear Rachel had made me buy the last time she took the girls shopping. I hadn't put it on since then. Jack arched an eyebrow in curiosity and I shut the door to the bathroom behind me.

He whistled as I stepped out a few mometns later with a pile of dirty laundry in my hands. "Rachel helped you pick that didnt she?"

I rolled my eyes. "How could you tell?" I was SO uncomfortable with the silk. The lace was itchy.

"Because I never thought I would see you in..." he gestured. "Something like that." I threw the laundry in a pile in a corner. He stood and hugged my from behind, crushing me to his chest. "I quite like this game." He whispered in my ear, his breath cool on my neck.

I broke free of his grasp and lay down. He climbed in on the other side and again pulled me to his chest. I grinned and settled under his chin and he started to shake. I looked up and his eyes were dark with desire.

Cameron could wait one more night...