Cheers to Hogsmeade and Hogwarts

Chapter 21: Cheers to Hogsmeade and Hogwarts

POV: Al, Emily, James, Lily, Scorpius

We were walking in a comfortable silence, our shoes leaving distinct footprints on the snow that covered the streets of the village. A chorus of laughter, shouts, and loud conversations rang in the chilly air around us, adding to the sweet melody that played from a music store that had just opened.

After two hours of (re)exploring the village, stopping to check out one of the three new shops, or revisiting old ones to see new merchandise, I pulled my fingers away from the hand I had been holding since we climbed off our carriage. 

"Ladies first," I said to Evanna Nott, holding the door open when we arrived to our destination.

"By all means, go right inside, then," she said with a sharp smirk. 

"Oh, so you're one of those?" I said with a laugh.

"One of what?" Evanna asked, quirking a brow up.

"Hates chivalry but claims chivalry is dead."

She laughed now. "Opening the door for me and claiming it's to be a gentleman is what I hate. You should open the door—"

"I should open the door regardless of gender because it's proper manners," I said. "Yeah, I know. I was schooled about this by Nia before. She doesn't accept help from someone because she's a girl, unless that same person does so for everyone. Merlin, that was a lecture that lasted two hours. Safe to say, Zabini never helped her off the carriage again without yanking Malfoy—Oh. Sorry."

Evanna's amused expression had turned into a tight-lipped smile. When I caught on and stopped, she forced herself to give a laugh as she pushed me into the tea shop.

"Oi," I said with a playful outburst, "I was under the impression this was a gentle date."

"I was under the impression it'd be the opposite, actually," Evanna said, her smirk back. "I honestly thought I was going to get a little James Potter out of you. We all heard the story of him snogging that Hufflpuff. All my friends warned me about pesky Potter fingers."

I looked down at my hands, removing the gloves slowly as to hide my frown. 

I didn't know much about James' love life (on account I always assumed he did not have one). Yeah, I was aware a lot of girls from all years swooned over him and his unruly black hair (which I also had, but no one really noticed mine), but he had eyes for one girl. While Emily failed (or chose to ignore) to see how truly dedicated my brother was to her, James apparently still had time to have a fumble with other girls. If his reputation among the female population at school had developed as such, what could I expect him to do with Nia by his side?

I looked up at Evanna when a part of my brain assured me Nia would surely punch James if he even dared to brush her hair aside. 

"Table for Potter, please," Evanna said to the elderly witch approaching us with a greeting smile.

"Of course, my dear! Right this way. And welcome to Madam Puddifoot's, the most romantic spot in Hogsmeade, where our teas are carefully brewed and our sweets deliciously cooked."

Evanna sniggered at the rhyme and I grimaced.

The woman sighed, her previous enthusiasm simmering down. "It's a bit much, I know," she said as she led us to a corner table at the end of the shop. "Ever since Madam Puddifoot passed away, Miss Puddifoot thinks silly little rhymes will liven up the place. She wants us to be wired like we are on a Cheering Charm. The girl's a nutter."