June 27, 2008

When I wake up the next morning, I find myself alone in bed

When I wake up the next morning, I find myself alone in bed...the faint scent of lavender lingering on the bedding. I move my hand along the pillow sharing Prince's side of the bed last night only to find it cold. Damn! Maybe it was all a dream...

Or at least that's what I thought until the faint scent of breakfast food started wafting through the air and into the bedroom. Looks like someone's making breakfast... I think with a goofy grin overtaking my face as I pull the covers back, sticking my feet into my slippers with a wince... Gee...I never thought I'd be this sore...

I slowly shuffle across the room, and cover my nakedness with a bath robe before quietly making my way down to the kitchen. I walk in to the sight of him sipping on a cup of coffee, absentmindedly singing along to a song playing inside his head as he keeps his eye on whatever he's got cooking in the frying pan. For a man who said he couldn't cook, this certainly smells delicious...

My stomach emits a soft growl as I tiptoe across the kitchen but he's so engrossed his task, spatula in hand to move what looks to be a perfectly cooked omelette onto a plate that he completely misses my approach.

With a sneaky smile I inch up behind him, wrapping my hands around his torso and placing a gentle kiss on the back of his neck before murmuring a soft, "Good morning," before continuing in a teasing tone. "I thought someone didn't know how to cook..."

"I can't much...in fact, this is all I know how to make," he offers with chagrin before turning around in my arms. He gives me a seductive grin before capturing my lips in a sweet good morning kiss, which quickly starts to get out of hand until he pulls away just slightly, breathless with a smoldering look in his eyes as he gestures toward the almost forgotten omelettes.

"We should go eat before these get cold," he utters softly as he gently extricates himself from my embrace, turning his attention to picking up our plates and heading toward the dining room table. "You coming?" he tosses over his shoulder teasingly. Did he really just say that? This man really is insatiable...

With a smile in my voice and a now familiar ruddiness lighting my cheeks, I reply with an "I'll be along in a minute. I'm just going to grab a cup of coffee."

I hear his response coming from the general direction of the dining room. "Okay...just don't be too long. My omelettes are best served hot." Oh really???

__

We've been quietly eating and making idle chit chat for the last few minutes when it finally dawned on us that our night together was coming to an end. A solemn feeling comes over me at the realization, and I meet his honeyed gaze as I emit a sad sounding sigh.

"What is it, honey?" he responds quietly, lowering his gaze as he starts to desultory push the remnants of his omelette around his place before finally meeting my eyes with a gentle look.