July 23, 2008

Ever since Destiny convinced me to try this whole blind date thing one last time, she hasn't left me alone about looking for something to wear

Apparently her and Darius decided to go all out with this date, setting up reservations at the Gilded Gate, the most expensive and exclusive restaurant in town. Usually it takes weeks to get a reservation...apparently someone has some clout at that place...and I know it isn't Destiny.

It quickly became obvious that none of the clothes I owned were classy enough for a place like this, and given my overall unease with the whole thing, Destiny took it upon herself to make this outfit an early birthday gift for me.

Even more strangely, apparently money was no object. Whatever I wanted, I'd get. She really must be confident about this date for some reason, though I can't imagine why...

__

We're just pulling up to the mall when Destiny turns toward me. "You don't mind if we stop at Babies R Us first do you?" she asks curiously, eyes meeting mine. "The crib I special ordered just came in today and I need to go in and pick it up."

"No problem. That's my godson you've got in there." I reply, placing my hand gently on her belly and feeling a gentle kick. "We need to make sure he's got a place to sleep. Isn't that right little buddy?" I continue, chuckling.

"Where's Collin, by the way? I thought for sure he'd be with you to pick this thing up," I ask curious.

Destiny's husband, Collin is out of town a lot on business but I thought for sure he'd be around to help her pick up something like this. It's not like him to leave her to deal with things like this alone, especially with her being pregnant and all.

"He got called away to Miami last minute on business. He tried everything he could to send his partner, Bob in his place, but they were insistent he be the one to go since he's the head of this project," Destiny explained with a sigh. "He should be back in a couple of days. I told him it was no big deal, I'd find a way to pick up the crib if it came while he was away. That's where you come in..." she concludes with a wink.

We pull into a special spot for mothers with babies on the way, and make our way inside. Given that it's the middle of the week, the mall is pretty much deserted and we quickly make our way over to the Babies R Us customer service counter.

A bored looking teenaged girl was standing behind the counter snapping gum as her eyes connected with Destiny's baby bump before eventually meeting her eyes and offering a halfassed greeting. "Hello, how can I help you?" Gee...someone's not thrilled with their job...

"Yes, my name is Destiny Jones. I was told that the crib I ordered last week has come in, so my friend and I are here to pick it up," she replies with a sense of cordial impatience.

"A couple of cribs came in the truck this morning. Give me a minute and I'll check our list to see which is yours," she continues looking disinterested as she shuffles through some papers for the list in question.