July 26, 2008-Part Two

"You're late," he replies scathingly

"And you sir, are lucky I'm even here at all." I retort, indignant. The nerve of this guy...and to think I was actually about to apologize. Fuck that!

If I didn't know any better I'd think my statement took him a little off guard, the smug look disappearing for a fraction of a second. What's your deal? Never been told off by a woman before?

I grudgingly extend my hand forward, "Let's try this again, shall we?" I begin noncommittally. "Hello, I'm Harmony. Nice to meet you." I finish unconvincingly. Hell...at least I'm trying.

His covered eyes meet my hand reluctantly before he finally meets my eyes again, placing his hand in mine. "Joey...Joey Coco," he replies cordially. If that's your real name, then I'm the queen of England.

Still regardless of my misgivings, I settle uncomfortably into my seat. Let's just get this over with....

__

For several minutes we awkwardly sit in silence, unexpectedly catching each other's gaze every so often...only to break it just before either of us is able to get out two words to each other. I swear I know this guy from somewhere...repeat blind date maybe...?

Eventually I find myself mindlessly gazing at a cheap looking Rembrandt painting just beyond his left shoulder, contemplating my next move. So are you going to talk to me or not? Maybe I should just go...

I hear his low baritone voice quietly muttering as if to himself, "One of us needs to say something already..."

I attempt to make eye contact but find his eyes locked on his hands in an apparent attempt to psych himself up to say something before he finally meets my dark gaze.

Without being able to see his eyes I can only guess at what he must be thinking, but if his body language is anything to go by, I think at this point he'd pretty much rather be anywhere except here. I hear you there, Joey...if that is in fact your real name...

"So are you going to say something or shall I?" I ask; my voice laced with curiosity, and just a hint of sarcasm.

"Ladies first..." he replies with a sideways glance over his shades revealing just a hint of what look to be piercing golden eyes. Hmmm...seems he's got nice eyes. I wish he'd just take off his shades already....

I nervously start fiddling with my hair, uncomfortable with the entire tone of our interaction before meeting his gaze, finally blurting out. "You clearly don't really want to be here, so why are you?"

"Who said I didn't want to be here?" he begins defensively. Smooth move. Way to make things even more uncomfortable than they are already...

A few more moments of uncomfortable silence follow as I twirl my ring around my finger, struggling to come up with some sort of response. "Uhhhh..." I begin hesitantly. Come on, Harmony...say something...any words will do...