Chapter 1 - Plan A

Opening my eyes in my college dorm room the pounding headache that followed each Ruby nightmare intensified each day as we got further ahead with our plans. Of course they all thought I was nuts when the words 'We're going to wake up Ruby' left my lips. All the same I had just performed my very first Samhain ritual without a hitch so now when they think of me they're thoughts are a mix up of impressiveness, intimidation and worry. My family were proud of me and still are, so they'll have my back no matter what. As for my two best friends, Dulcie an Empath and Matilda a Pagan in learning, they assured me they'd be there for me if I should ever need them.

I dropped out of classes because the dreams affected my waking life so it was disturbing to say the least. My college friends, Erin, Lee, Lexi and Drew, stopped by frequently to see why I wasn't in class but my faithful vampire boyfriend, Riley, barely let them passed the door, depending on what kind of day I was having. Whenever I suffered Riley too suffered with me, if I was too scared to go to sleep he'd stay up all night long with me. His loving gaze and the thought of waking Ruby were the only things that kept me going.

Another thought that scared me most was the fact that Christian had now been sighted in Penn Gate. Drew who once roomed with him until he came home one night to find blood on the floor asked for an exchange immediately. My fears were confirmed when Matilda confessed she thought she was being stalked when she went to see Dulcie's aunt Laura, another Pagan, in New York City for her weekly class. Again she felt like she wasn't alone in her rented loft room, in my Nana's house in Penn Gate, when she arrived to an empty house. When investigating with Nana, Brian and Dulcie later they didn't find anyone but one of her favourite blue shirts was missing from her wardrobe whose door stood ajar.

Her fears chilled us both to the bone when I told her all about the vision I had of Christian draining Matilda of all her blood. From then on she walked around with a stake, holy water and silver chains in her bag. Nana was worried about how he managed to get into the house without her knowing considering the amount of protection spells she had around her home. She doubled then tripled the spells till her hearts content although nothing could soothe Matilda except the insurance of a sharp, pointy piece of wood which was always close at hand.

Riley and I temporarily moved back to Penn Gate as we all readied ourselves to put our first plans, to wake Ruby, into action. We'd gone over the layout of the hospital a hundred times over until we knew it as well as the backs of our own hands. We'd located all the security cameras that I'd need to disconnect with my telekinetic powers and with the help of our friend, Alexa Cain, a Witch and a nurse at Penn Gate Infirmary, we managed to identify which members of staff Rowanne would have to influence with her special power of mind control. Alexa offered her help to unhook Ruby from all the machines she was tied up to as well as any drips attached to her. We were ready and prepared for any unfortunate instances, like being caught by the doctors or security. So why were we so nervous?

For three years my cousin had laid in a hospital bed, her life draining from her. We knew that her coma was false and that someone had only induced the coma, for reasons unknown, so all we had to do was get her away from the hospital and give her time for the drugs to leave her system and then she should wake up. Hopefully. Was it the fear of failure that kept us from excitement? Fear our hopes would be dashed that we wouldn't get our cousin back after all this planning? Plan B and Plan C were in place if we failed today but could it really be possible to succeed? Or were we hoping for a miracle?

"Stop fidgeting! You're drawing attention to yourself." I said to Rowanne out of the corner of my mouth.

"I can't help myself, I'm so anxious." she hissed back.

We walked on through the shabby entrance and I flicked my hands to turn the security cameras from our gaze. Every corridor we walked down I did this and Rowanne barely touching any security staff influenced them to forget they saw us. Her powers grew stronger all the time, now she barely had to talk to them or make eye contact. All she had to do was touch and think of what she wanted them to do.