Chapter 2 - Open Eyes

I found Riona in her kitchen eating soup when I teleported into her beachside home in Salem, MA. Just as she placed a piece of bread in her mouth she choked at my appearance.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you." I hastily apologised.

"No, don't worry about it. How did you get on?"

"We got her home just fine."

"Oh, that's wonderful." she smiled brightly. "Has she woken yet?"

"No, I've got the others watching her just now. But I think you'd better come with me."

"Why what's wrong?" she asked concerned.

"We caught the person who induced her into a coma."

"WHAT!?" she asked surprised. "Who was it?"

"I think you'd better come see for yourself."

"Let me make a quick call. It's my shift at the shop this afternoon so I'd better make sure there's someone who can cover it if I don't make it back in time."

"Sure, that's fine I'll call home to see if there's any change with Ruby."

Riona ran to her room to find her cell phone while I called home in Penn Gate.

"Hello?" Matilda's voice called after answering on the third ring.

"She's not awake but she keeps twitching and she even muttered something."

"What did she say?"

"We're not sure. But it almost sounded like 'mother'."

"Mother?"

"Hang on, talk to Faith they're calling for me." she said before passing the house phone on to Faith.

"Hello?" came Faith's bored drawl.

"Faith, it's Billie, what the hell is going on?"

"I don't know. I've been helping clean up your dirty uncle. Hang on, I'll poke my head through."

I heard several yelps as Faith said, "Guys, what the hell is going on?"

"Why are they screaming?" I asked.

"I scared 'em. I keep forgetting they don't all know that I have the power to walk through walls."

"So what is going on?" I asked impatiently.

"She's moving around a lot. May be you ought to get back here."

"I'll be there in a minute I'm just waiting for Riona to make a call."

"See you soon then." she said hanging up.

"Riona! We've really got to go now. They think Ruby is starting to wake up." I called up to her.

"Coming, coming, coming." she said running downstairs.

I didn't even wait for her to get off the bottom step I just grabbed her wrist and teleported us straight into my room where Ruby was writhing in her bed. The crowd in the room jumped as Riona and I suddenly appeared before them.

"Come on, Ruby. We're here, we're not going to let anything harm you. Come on, you can do it." I said taking her hand.

Ruby stopped wriggling and started breathing easier as her eye lids fluttered and fought to open themselves.

"Ruby, you can do it," said Nana.

"Open your eyes." said Rowanne.

"We're all here." said Brian.