Chapter 10 - Alliance

The living room had become a whole lot more crowded since I was last in it. Brian, Dulcie and Matilda's crew had returned from their grocery shopping trip and were all gathered in the lounge looking confused as they watched Lexi, surrounded by her and Lee's belongings, tap away on Google maps.

"What's going on?" asked Dulcie.

"Lexi is going home. She has her own coven to care for."

"But why is Lee leaving? He's part of our coven now." Brian said angrily.

"Right now Lee needs to be with his grandmother. So he knows she's safe."

"We should be sticking together." Argued Rowanne. "Strength in numbers, Bill."

"Lexi has to lead her coven, Row. They don't belong here. And Lee will finally be able to start a coven of his own."

"Look, if you need us we're only a phone call away." Lexi said, passing me the laptop. "This is just something we need to do."

"She's right." Lee agreed. "If you need us we'll be there for you."

"Why don't you strike up an alliance then?" Riona suggested.

"An alliance?" I asked. "What you mean like Sister covens?"

"No, a Sister coven is another group of Witches related to ours by the bonds of blood. They are not related. An alliance is bound by magic and an agreement. An agreement to always be there to help the others out in times of need and to offer support when it is required."

"I think that's a good idea." Lexi agreed. "Lee?"

"Yeah, I'm all for an alliance."

"Bill?" came a voice from the doorway.

I jumped as Riley, Willem and Leonard entered the room behind me. Riley nodded in the direction of the hallway, beseeching me to follow him.

"What's up?"

"You've got visitors."

He pushed open the front door to allow entry to Marlowe, Alexa, AnnDee and Wynter Cain. They looked like hell. Little AnnDee, a girl famous for her loud smart mouth, was quiet and shaken looking, she and her siblings' clothes were matted with dirt and blood.

"Can we talk in private?" Marlowe asked.

"Yes, of course. Come through to the kitchen."

Leading the way through the house, Riley bringing up the rear, the last of the Cain coven followed me through to the kitchen. The four siblings sat down around the beech wood table in the pale cream chairs as Riley helped me brew up some tea.

"We only have chamomile, I hope that's okay."

"That's fine." They acquiesced.

Under the kitchen's bright light Marlowe's sharp features were thrown into fresh relief. Her chiselled high cheek bones, prominent chin and highbrow were what made the coven leader always look so intimidating. She narrowed her eyes at Riley as he lingered in the kitchen, choosing to stand behind me whilst I sat at the table with the Cain's.

"I would prefer if we were alone." Marlowe said hastily in her icily angered voice.

"Whatever you have to say to me you can say in front of Riley."

"I don't wish to cause anyone alarm."

"I'm pretty sure if any of Billie's relatives or friends seen you arrive they'd be pretty alarmed already." Riley said, pointing out their bloody attire.

"True, very true." Marlowe agreed.

"Marlowe, what has happened?" I ask.

"We are leaving New York. Just a few miles from where we live, another coven has been slaughtered."