Of Insults and Disasterous Dates

In Chemistry the next day, Ashtyn erased any doubts I had about shopping. If things got too bad, Matty and I could ditch Kase and Charity and have fun on our own. The prospect of spending this evening with Matty made me a little happier than it should have.

"Earth to Lorelai," a low rumble sounded beside me. I jumped, nearly dropping the stack of books I was carrying to English.

"Sweet cheese fries, Kase, don't scare me like that." I breathed, readjusting my books. My effort was in vain, though, because Kason lifted the books from my hands with ease.

"Sweet cheese fries? That's a new one. Anyways, before we all go out tonight do you want to run and grab some milkshakes? My treat," Kason said, flashing me his pearly whites.

"This sounds a little like bribery," I laughed, leaning against the wall outside my classroom.

"It's not," Kason laughed, "Please? I've been busy lately and haven't seen you near as much as usual. Charity's at a doctor's appointment and won't be back until right before we take off, so I'm free."

"So I'm a last resort?" I teased, but a little shred of seriousness backed my words.

"Of course not babe. I'd always love to hang out with you, but Charity's been a bit clingy lately. Please just say yes," Kason pleaded, jutting his lower lip out in a pout.

"Fine, but you're gonna have to drive me back here after because I drove my car," I sighed, turning to walk into the classroom before the tardy bell rang.

"You're the best!" Kason called to my retreating back. I smiled and walked to my seat, ready to actually get my nap today.

"You take forever," I complained as I climbed into Kason's truck. "We're going to get stuck in the after-school traffic." I whined.

"Gives us more time to talk!" Kason said optimistically. "What have you been doing with your life without my constant presensce?" he asked dramatically. I rolled my eyes.

"I've been relaxing," I teased. "But seriously, I've just been hanging out with Ash and Matty."

"Monroe?" Kason asked, his eyebrows furrowing.

"Yeah," I said with a small smile. "So how's Charity?" I asked, changing the topic before Kason could ask me questions I didn't have answers to.

"Good, I guess. She's been a little clingy lately, like I said earlier. Deep down though, she's still the same girl that I met a month ago."

I nodded in response, chewing on my bottom lip.

"Still remember what I want?" I asked as his truck broke through the traffic and we headed to the drive in diner.

"Chocolate milkshake, extra whipped cream and an extra cherry," Kason recited with a little smirk.

"Yet you can't remember my order at Whataburger?" I asked playfully, Kason's booming laughter drowning out the soft music playing on the radio.

"Let it gooooo," he whined. "I've got a terrible memory."

"I'm pretty sure you told me you have a photographic memory like two weeks ago," I laughed, punching Kason in the shoulder.

"Oh whatever," Kason laughed, pulling up to the drive-thru of the icecream stand. As he ordered, I gazed at his profile.

His eyes were lined with the remanants of a sleepless night, the dark circles under his eyes giving away the tell-tale signs of exhaustion. Aaron and Matty had also been sporting this look, seeing as the head baseball coach, Coach Williams, had been keeping the boys in practice until well-after dark, giving them virtually no time to get an work done after practice. Kason's hair was disheveled like he had just woken up, his blonde hair sticking up in an unruly fashion. Whether it was intentional or not it didn't matter. Kason just seemed to have a way of making everything work for him.