"Happy Birthday Evangeline!"

"You guys..." Emotions overcame me as I looked at the scene in front of me. A picnic was set up, the classic red and white checked blanket was spread out on the lush freshly cut grass. A variety of sandwiches, fruits and a huge jug of lemonade were placed on it but best of all my friends, Blake, Caleb, Toby, Jake, Tae, Sydney, and Jamie were all sitting on it. "I don't know what to say..." I chocked on my words, tearing up at the sight. Charlotte, Jamie, and Sydney all ran over and gave me a group hug which was soon joined by the guys. Once the group hug ended, Charlotte turned to me, happy tears in her eyes as well and exclaimed, "I can't believe you forgot your own birthday Evangeline." I smiled at her through my tears, "I haven't celebrated my birthday in such a long time. As that time passed I have forgotten...but this...this is amazing! How did you guys know?" Blake can closer and wiped away a tear before bopping me lovingly on the nose, "I have my ways little one." I smiled genuinely, "Thank you guys, thank you so much for this surprise. I am so grateful and thankful." Jamie smiled, "Of course we could never forget your special day! Now, come on! I am pretty sure you're dying to try the food we prepared!" Everyone cheered, settling down to enjoy the picnic, chatting amongst ourselves. Waves of laughter filled the air, you could feel our happiness from a mile away.

At the end of the day, our stomachs were all stuffed to their max capacity. Filling a werewolves stomach is near impossible, ours were like a bottomless pit, but that day, no one could eat another bite the feast prepared. We played a match of soccer, took loads of pictures and played a game of tag. By the end of it all, we were all tired and ready to head home. "Let's head home, the cake and presents are waiting," suggested Blake. Everyone agreed and helped pack up the picnic and load up the cars. 

I saw the pack house come to view as we drove up the driveway, "We are here!" I cheered as I opened the car door and stretched my limbs before getting out. I followed the others lead and entered the house. Paws immediately came bounding over, barking with his tail wagging a hundred miles per hour at the sight of us. I giggled and picked him up, lovingly holding him close to me, "I missed you, little doodle puppy." I followed everyone into the kitchen with Paws cuddled contently in my arms. 

Happy Birthday to You
Happy Birthday Dear Evangeline 
Happy Birthday to You.

I smiled as everyone started singing before my eyes fell on the most beautiful cake I have ever seen. It was a pure fluffy white cake with Dumbo, my favorite childhood Disney character made out of fondant sitting on top of it and seventeen brightly lit candles surrounding the big-eared elephant. It was simple and perfect. "Wow...it's beautiful." The girls beamed, "We made it ourselves!" said Jamie. "We are glad you like it!" exclaimed Sydney with a bright smile. "I don't like it...I love it! Thank you." I told them, touched by the homemade cake they put in the effort to make. I placed Paws down before taking standing in front of the cake, my eyes glazing over with tears, I had the best friends ever. 

"What are you waiting for little one? Make a wish and blow out your candles!" Blake smiled as he placed a warm hand on the small of my back. I closed my eyes and made a wish before blowing out the flames. Everyone clapped and cheered. "Now, who wants cake?!" exclaimed Jamie. A chorus of "me" and "I do" filled the room. After everyone was served a slice of cake, we all settled down in the spacious living room. The cake tasted delicious, creamy and fluffy."Happy birthday Evangeline, I love you,"  Winter said, barking joyously. "Thank you, Winter, I love you more,"  I replied to my wolf, the only one that has been there with me since day one, Winter was more than just my wolf at this point. Over the years together, we have learned to completely trust each other and rely on each other, forming a strong friendship that was unbreakable and special. 

Once everyone was done and the plates were washed and cleared away, Blake announced, "Time for presents!" before handing me a messily wrapped present. I giggled and said teasingly, "I see that wrapping gifts is your specialty." Blake playfully growled, "Shush little one, I tried my best. Just open it!" I tore away the paper to reveal a photo album book. I opened the book and each page was filled with pictures of all of us. Looking at each picture, flipping each page was like walking down memory lane. "I love it, Blake! Thank you so much. This means a lot." I thanked him for the heartfelt and meaningful gift, hugging it close to my chest. Afterwards, I opened, present after present, some made me laugh like the prank kit Tae got for me and others made me cry in happiness like the video Jamie made for me of our funny and best moments these past months. I was so grateful for each of their gifts, it was all so overwhelming as it has been a while since anyone bothered to celebrate my 17th birthday. 

Paws yawned as he settled on my lap as my favorite movie, Goblin started. We decided to have a cozy movie night in the living room, it was a perfect way to end the day. When the credits rolled on the screen, it was late into the night and as I looked around the room, everyone was dozing off. "I think it's time for bed guys," Blake said as he let out a yawn. Seeing him yawn made me yawn, "I agree, I'm pretty tired now. This is the best birthday present that anyone could have ever given me, thank you all for such a wonderful day. I'll never forget it. Goodnight friends." I told with a sleepy but genuine smile to which everyone returned. I gave them all a good night hug, thanking them once again. I gently picked up my sleeping puppy, his bright milk chocolate-colored eyes shielded from the world as he slept soundly, before heading upstairs to my room. 

I went to my room and softly placed Paws on my bed, careful not to disturb the puppy before quickly doing my night-time routine. I slipped into bed, pulling Paws close to me, sharing my warmth with him. He instantly snuggled up to me, relishing my body heat and let out a content sigh. I gently caressed his fluffy golden head, "That best birthday day ever. I am so thankful, it was heartwarming. Oh my, can we just talk about the cake? It was so good, I am so tempted to ask the girls to make a cake every single day and..." I stopped talking, interrupted abruptly when Paws suddenly placed a paw over my mouth as if to say to stop talking and go to sleep. "Alright, alright, I get it! I'm sleeping now you doodle puppy." I chuckled before closing my eyes letting sleep overtook me. "Goodnight Paws," I whispered before letting myself fall unconscious and oblivious to the real world.