Chapter Thirty-Three

Start from the beginning

I joined my group of friends, who welcomed me with loud cheers. They were a bit on the tipsy side, considering someone had spiked the drinks unbeknown to the teachers. I put in every effort to drink and enjoy myself with them, but I wouldn't have been able to take my eyes off the beautiful Jamie even if I wanted to.

"Hey," someone next to me slurred. I turned to see one of the boys from the basketball team with his eyes trained on her as well. "She's looking hot tonight, ain't she?"

He was definitely tipsy and probably on the one-way train to Drunkville already, but his words spiked a now familiar anger. In all my efforts to keep myself level-headed, I managed a careless grin and a nod. Thank God, that threw him off, and suddenly his gaze was on another chick.

As I watched that quartet, saying hello and laughing to whoever came to see them, Matt kissed Mackenzie on the cheek, and pulled her to the dance floor. The song playing was Enchanted, by Taylor Swift. HIs laughing, red-cheeked date was pulled into his loving arms, and as they danced together with happy, content smiles on their faces, along with all the other couples locked in a tight embrace, I felt the envy grow.

Matt had found the girl perfect for him. And because he hadn't been drawn into the world of showbiz, Mackenzie would never know lies or betrayal, at least not from him. But in their eyes, even I could see the evident love there, and somehow I knew that breaking them apart would be impossible.

How much I wished I could be that way with Jamie, I could never put into words. Even during the course of my second chance, I couldn't find the right things to say to truly express the way I feel about her. Now I'd never be able to.

If a shooting star would cross me now, I'd wish to turn back time to when Jamie and I were still best friends, for another chance to start over and this time, make things work for us.

Movement at the corner of my eye made me turn, and I saw Josh pick up a blushing, happy Jamie bridal style and carry her to the dance floor. As the hurt and jealousy set in my scarred heart, he sat her down and pulled her to him by the waist. The joy on her features was too much for me to bear.

As the song ended and the couples separated enough to clap - I really don't get that, I mean, it's not a live band - and another song began to play on the speakers, I got the balls to walk forward.

For a few minutes, as I neared her, my mind blanked out and I had no idea what I was doing until I tapped her on the shoulder. "Jamie, can I have this dance?" I blurted out in a soft, pleading whisper.

Time stood still as she stared at me, incredulous and shocked, while Josh just glared with full hatred straight on. Matt and Mackenzie all but glided across the dance floor, blissfully ignorant to the potential showdown about to go down. "Please," I added quietly.

Her mouth opened to say something, but no words came out. Josh reached forward to flick my open, extended hand away, but Jamie stopped him with her fingers and a soft glance. In his eyes flashed disappointment and hurt, something I could relate to  but felt a tinge of smugness at the sight of it all the same, yet along with it understanding. Hope began to bloom in place of the despair, and when he moved away, Jamie just looked at me.

This all happened in the span of the intro to So Close by Jon Mclaughlin, and when he began to sing, she tentatively, hesitantly, with all the fear and wariness, put her small hand in mine.

Just that touch sent electric bolts down my body, and for a while I was paralyzed in the ecstasy. Then I moved closer to her, and when she didn't hesitate, I slowly and gently put my arms around her waist. When I felt her arms carefully reach up to my shoulders, I began to move.

You're in my arms

And all the world is gone

The music playing on