What Do You See in Them?

Start from the beginning

Sirius stared at the desktop before him, then said slowly, "No... but it's not anything even you can change," he replied, and he'd gathered his books and left before she could press him much further.

In Herbology, when Sirius Black didn't come to class, Harry Warbeck was caught whispering to Jasper Odair about Sirius. "He's gone mad," Harry whispered, "Everyone says so. Apparently there was a fight, him and Severus Snape, or something. Nobody knows the details. But they say Snape's set him mad... Alls I know is that he's a real freak."

Lily whirled about, "SHUT UP!"

Several people looked up from their stations about the Green Houses, including Remus, who was elbow deep in soil, trying to complete the assignment he and Sirius were supposed to be working on together and he was now completing alone.

Lily's face was flush, "You can't be talking about other people that way! You musn't! It's awful. Isn't it obvious that something is the matter with him? And isn't that enough? Must you talk about him and spread lies? How would you like it, if you were depressed and everyone whispered about you? Saying you were mental? It isn't very fun, being called a freak!"

And Harry Warbeck had shut up immediately, abashed and feeling quite guilty for what he'd done.

Severus Snape was standing in the archway of the courtyard, watching as the sunlight came over the parapets, casting a shadow of Ravenclaw tower. He had his Potions book open and was casting notes into the margins, waiting to see Lily Evans come back in from her Herbology class. As the class let out, he saw her come through the gates that led to the green houses, her face red, still flushed from her argument with Harry Warbeck. She was hugging her text tight to her chest. Severus waited only long enough to be certain that the Marauders weren't following after her, as they had been lately, and then he rushed across the courtyard to fall into step beside her.

"Lily!"

"Not now, Severus."

He trotted up along side her anyway. "C'mon, we haven't talked in forever, Lil."

Lily sighed, "I know. But I've just had a row and --"

"A row? With who?" Severus looked back in the direction of the greenhouses. "What about?"

"I don't want to talk about it, Sev," Lily said.

Severus frowned. "C'mon Lily. I can make you feel better if you let me." He thought about it a moment.

"Please. Not right now."

Severus stepped in front of her, forcing her to pause a moment. "Why don't you ever want to spend time with me?" he asked, "Never want to go for picnics, never want to go for walks. You never want to study together in the library."

"You're never alone in the library."

"So?"

"Sev, you know the answer to that."

She spotted James Potter across the courtyard with Peter Pettigrew and Remus Lupin, laughing and talking with some of the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff Quidditch players about the game that weekend, and she quickly veered to go toward the library entrance to avoid James. Last thing she needed was James Potter and Severus Snape getting into a fight in the courtyard. Enough rubbish had gone on already.

Snape followed her gaze and scowled when he saw James. His face went sour.

"I thought we were supposed to be friends?" Severus asked, "Best friends? Isn't that what you always say?"

She hadn't said it in some time.

Lily paused. "We are, Sev, but I don't like some of the people you're hanging around with! I'm sorry, but I detest Avery and Mulciber! Ugh. Mulciber! What do you see in him, Sev, he's creepy!"