~Chapter 4: The Ceremony

Start from the beginning

"Oh.. My.. God. It's perfect!" She practically screamed. Making all the girls turn to us. Giving them an apologetic look, they roll their eyes and return chatting to their friends.

"Okay my nails are dry, and I thankfully haven't smudged them, so I'll do your hair now," Rosa says to me. "Sounds like a plan," I answer, swapping places with her.

Another hour later, my hair is a modern, wavy style with soft curls floating across my face, and at the back of my hair, Rosa puts it in my great-grandmother's hair clip, that she wore to her Ceremony, and that my grandmother wore, my mother wore. And now me. It's a keepsake to our family, and now I'm responsible for its wellbeing. It's a rose clip, The outline of the flower is solid gold, and the inside is rubies. Looking like the rubies are red petals on the rose clip.

"Oh look at you all, you look dazzling." Madame Annabelle walks in and showers us girls with comments on how magnificent and spectacular we are looking. Being smart we slip in our dresses to save ourselves from getting makeup all over them. My dress is a sky blue dress which flows around me, but hugs my body, 'hitting all the right places' as Rosa says, the chest and are a white lace, and has a thin silk belt around my waist. The fabric is silk, which has a sparkly sheen. My shoes are neutral flats, as I don't want to be 6 foot tall, and I couldn't decide which colour shoe I wanted to wear.

Rosa, along with all the other girls went for a pink, purple or red dress. Except for Ava and Harriet. Ava who went for a dress orange on the bottom, and working its way up into a fluorescent green.

I think I saw a bunny nibbling at her dress.

And Harriet, who believed it was classy to wear a walnut brown dress with fluorescent yellow shoes, arm gloves, with a sun hat, all yellow.

So one went as a carrot and the other a banana... Something you don't see every day.

We both go on and apply our makeup. We both went for a natural look, except for a bright red lipstick that Rosa picked out, knocking out the entire natural look. I decided to wear a rebel red colour. Making my lips look fuller and more noticeable.

By the time we are finished, the boys have only a few more fights to go by the look of things. I could tell who had fought and who had not, by who were hot and sweaty, and who still look as fresh as a bean. I look around for Jase, and find him with a big smile on his face, along with Nathan, they were both smiling and laughing together, while all the other boys were watching the fight between James and Mitch.

I wonder what they are up too? Yeah, they both seem like they are enjoying themselves.

Rosa pushes me in the middle of my back and says "Come on Evie, we have to get out of here, what if the boys or even worse Madame Annabel sees us. You know we aren't allowed to be seen by the guys! It's tradition!" Rosa said anxiously. "I guess you are right. We better get home." I sigh. "Let's go." I say while linking arms with Rosa.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm waiting at home for what seems like years, waiting for the doorbell to ring. My mum calls me to dinner.

"Steak and veggies. Fresh from the farm. Enjoy you two. Dad and I have to go and get ready for The Ceremony."

"Thanks, Mum." Lachie and I said in unison.

I picked at my food. I don't feel like eating today, must be all the nerves getting to me.

Wait, nerves? I never get nervous, why now!?

"Are you nervous Evs?" Lachie says, breaking the silence.

"What? No, you know I don't get nervous." I reply.